Upgrading/selling scope

Kirkpatrick

I have a Savage 10fcp-sr in .308, love the rife. I shoot almost exclusively paper that doesn't move. Currently I have Zeiss Terra 3-9x42 mounted on it. My local range only goes out to a hundred yards, but I want go start to get into 300 yard shooting.

I would like a scope with a higher magnification for mostly bench/bi-pod shooting. I was wondering how much I could expect to sell my current scope for and what I could get If I put the proceeds from the sell with an additional $200?

Also, every review I read of the Nikon Prostaff is good, I was wondering if there is a reason to not get that scope, especially seeing as it will be babied.

By the way, even with x9, I'm just barley able to make out the 1" ring on the targets.

Thanks for the input.

Have you tested your Savage to see if it is a 300m rifle? To do that you do not need to change the scope just sight it in for 300m.

There are scopes out there if you do some shopping in the $100+ range if you do some shopping. I have a Pentax Gameseeker III 8.5 x 32 -50mm that I picked up last year that works for me. Yes it is made in china but what isn't anymore?

By the way, even with x9, I'm just barley able to make out the 1" ring on the targets.
That should not be surprising in that a 3x9 scope is considered to be a hunting scope (where you would not be concerned about looking at a paper target), not a target scope.

The real problem will be to get any decent value of the current scope. It sells at Amazon for $349, so I don't think you will be able to move it for much more than $200, $250 if you're lucky. That doesn't leave you with much to truly upgrade with.

That should not be surprising in that a 3x9 scope is considered to be a hunting scope (where you would not be concerned about looking at a paper target), not a target scope.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China. If anything a hunting scope needs better glass than a target scope to pick up animals in brush and in poor light.

Have you tried to focus the scope. There is no way that is possible

The Terra is a very good scope and a Nikon or Vortex would be a step in the wrong direction. Out to 300 yards 9X is more than enough, a 1" ring should appear about 33 yards away and should be easily seen at 300 yards on 9X. At 100 yards it should be huge filling a significant portion of your view through the scope.

It'd sell for at most $300, you won't do any better than what you have with an extra $200. In fact you won't do any better until you reach the $1,000 range.

I'd spend the money on ammo and learn how to use what you have. If you reach the point where you start shooting at 700-1000 yards then you might need to upgrade.

Plus 1 for Skizzums- I have the Mueller 8-32 x44 on my 308. While i do not like the 44mm, I must say-It tracks beautifully and is very crisp and clean. I would not think twice about getting another one.

jmr40: Some people (me included) like more magnification on target rifles. I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x on my .308, and a Vortx Viper PST 6-24x on my 6.5 Creedmoor. The ops post was not about clarity, but about magnification. I shoot my CZ 527 quite well at 100 yards with a Leupold 1-4x scope, but it's a hunting rifle. My Tikka .308 hunting rifle has a 4-12x Leupold. There is a big difference in a deer/hog sized animal and 1" diamonds/squares/rings. I want to see where my bullets hit and judge the groups without having to have a spotting scope...

You're taking some heat for not being satisfied with a 3-9 scope, but I'm on your side. I no longer even own a 3-9 scope. I gave away the last one, a Zeiss 3-9, to my BiL. Get at least a 4-16. I think I saw a camera land advert that showed a 6.5-20 for $599. A Vortex or a Zeiss...I forget. Or find a decent 6-24 scope. Get what you want. Enjoy.

Take your inquiry over to Opticstalk.com. Those folks over there know a ton more than this board about glass. Quite honestly Ziess should be ashamed to put their name on the Terrable. You can also shop the used sections on SWFA, EuroOptik and CameralandNY to find deals on better glass in a slightly used demo condition. As far as a Nikon Prostaff, if someone gave me one, I'd sell it before ever mounting it on one of my rifles.

You'll also be able to gauge what you can get for that Terra by looking at the Sample List on SWFA. Last time I checked, they had a bunch of them up on trade in stock. Deduct 10-15% so you can move it.

I am far from a scope snob. one of my favorite scopes is a bushnell 9x that ran less than 100$. I did everything from plinking to 600 yard highpower comp with that scope, thousands and thousands of rounds from .223 to 54r and that thing is still true as anything. but I have come to learn that for target shooting, mainly working up ammunition, nothing beats aiming smaller. your talking about 300 yards, you don't need a 500-600$ anything for that. you need a decent clear piece of glass that holds it's zero and is built tough and has a fine reticle. the magnification is all about your personal preference, but I don't see any value in spending that much to punch paper at 300 yards. I just got a Bushnell 4.5-18x for a great price and it will do everything I need out to 500 yards. I am not saying this is the scope you should buy, I am just saying don't overthink it and don't blow your wad on something you don't need. I still stand by the previous suggestion that you should give the Mueller a hard look.

just grabbed this for well under 200, super clear glass, great turrets, pretty nice reticle(not as fine as I would absolutely prefer) and not-so-great relief at full magnification(amazing fast relief and acquisition at 10x and under), but will do what it needs to just fine for my purposes, which is trying to get the tightest groups I can with my handloads.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-ar-optics-4-5-18x40-riflescope-w-bdc-reticle-matte-black.html
again, not suggesting this piece, just saying that, FOR ME, this will be perfect for working up nice handloads and I didn't need to spend more than the cost of the rifle. I can't tell you how many times I have been told that my 500$ ar with a sightmark reflex(that has worked for 3 years now perfectly) needs either an EOtech or an Aimpoint, sometimes it's hilarious that every single rifle I own needs to be "battle ready" at the drop of a hat.......

sorry, don't ranting......gotta go re-zero my cheap optics

I like Nikon scopes okay, I have never used any of the really pricey ones, but the .223 scopes have always had difficult relief for me, but they are built well and are very cost competitive. LOVE the Nikon p-series mounts though

I prefer higher power scopes as well, but I would shoot what you have first, see what problems you are trying to fix before you spend any money. You may find 9X is fine.

53 yrs old here, IMHO with my eyes a 9x is not good enough to shoot 50 yards:D. My 22's have a 6-24 x 56 on them. My F Class rig has a 8-32 x 56, which I would like to upgrade to a 12-42 x 56 Nightforce someday.

I too have to chime in, I like to aim small so, add the magnification so you can.
I have a Mueller 8-32x44 (wish it was x 50) on my Weatherby 243, tracks very well and I shoot it often at 300 yds at steel.

Thanks for all the replies. I love shooting (well, of course we all do) but I just think that I would enjoy it that much better if I could see the target better. It doesn't bother me on my non-magnified AK or AR, but when I'm trying to really get in a tight group, the weak link for me is being able to see that one inch target.

Also thanks for pointing out that I don't have to spend a lot of money for my needs and also steering me to other forums. I think if I go with a low cost optic, I just might keep the Ziess in case one day I do get a hunting rifle.

Thanks again for the encouragement and advice.

Well after considering my budget, I did what so many of us do when it comes to fire arms, I paid and got what I really wanted, the Vortex 6.5-20x50, I even sprung for the expensive vortex rings.

Now what I'm wondering would be the best route to go with selling the Ziess Terra 3x9 scope. Armslist, Ebay. I want to move it fairly quick so I'm not looking to get top dollar out of it. Any suggestions?

Back