Updates on Montana Rifle Company

Quick1

Need advice, I am looking at purchasing two new rifles, a 270 Win and a 300 Win Mag, to cover the spectrum. I was primarily looking at a Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless or a Weatherby Mark V Accumark both of which come in both calibers, but then came across some info on the Montana Rifle Company (MRC). Now I am considering adding their XWR Extreme Weather Rifle to the mix.

I have looked all over the internet and searched the Firing Line archives, but there is very little "recent" info on the company or the rifle. What is out there concerns mainly bad customer service from a few years ago. I called MRC and talked to their Sales Manager, Larry Craven, who could not have been nicer and also owned up to the previous customer service problem and stated it had been rectified. Also, according to Larry, the big new change for the XWR is they are no longer using the B&C stock, but have moved to a new custom stock they are producing in house.

So here is my quesiton, does anyone have updates on MRC or the XWR rifle from the last 12 months or so. Has their customer service really improved and how does the XWR compare to the Sako and Weatherby?

Thanks

Q

I met them at the NRA show and was very impressed with their guns and actions. If I had the money, I would have bought their 458 Lott they had! I was just very impressed with the fit, finish, and traditional style of their guns. The prices were amazing for a custom rifle of that quality and trust me, there were lots to compare to at the show.

Nathan, thanks for your input, that is great to hear.

Another plus of buying from MRC is they can add the muzzle brakes I want to both rifles and I can purchase directly from them with the brakes installed. If I purchase through Weatherby or Sako, I will get to get the rifles from a dealer and then have to pay more money to send them off to have the brakes installed since you cannot purchase directly from either one.

I am leaning heavily towards MRC, but keep the comments coming, want to hear your thoughts.

I checked WBY web site and the Accubrake is a $169 option.

I own two Weatherby rifles neither have an Accubrake. I really don't see the need for anything less than a 378WBY based case. I own a 300WBY, Vanguard and a 340WBY, MKV Deluxe. These are at my recoil toleration point, they can get painful at the range testing handloads, but I have never noticed the recoil hunting.

The Vanguard is really an action acquired by Roy Weatherby, to provide the consumer with a strong high quality rifle at a reasonable cost. This action he acquired from Sako, the L61, is now the Howa-Vanguard, and has been used by Smith and Wesson and others I believe.

I really like the Action used MRC, a local company producing a high quality semi-custom rifle. An improved MDL 70 action expanded for the most potent big game hunting rounds.

Which ever one you choose you will not go wrong, IMO!

My desire for muzzle brakes comes from a new found sensitivity to recoil following a couple of shoulder surgeries. I had a Kimber 338 Win Mag, which I could not put a brake on because of the thin barrel diameter, which I ended up selling because I could no longer handle the recoil. For this new rifle I do not want to drop any lower than a 300 Win Mag and I am hoping the brake will make it more comfortable for me to shoot. I will only use the brake at the range (yes I will use double hearing protection and will warn fellow shooters). For hunting I plan to take it off and use a threat protector. I will have to check that there is no, or very little change in POI when removing the brake and switching to the thread protector.

Thanks for checking into the Weatherby brake option, I just wish I could buy it that way and not have to go through the hassle of buying the rifle first and then paying shipping to send it back to Weatherby to have the brake added. Plus, with the cost of the rifle, shipping and the brake installation, I am looking at over $1800 which is doubled since I am buying to rifles. I do not mind paying that, but if the MRC is comparable, then I do not mind saving the money either.

Back