Update on Reservation & Carrying Firearms

Gary Slider

Carry on Native American Reservations is full of dangers. Their ordinances cover their members and those who live on their reservation. Some also have ordinances against carry concealed firearms even if you have a permit/license issue by the state the Reservation is in. I have been told numerous times that if they find someone with a Concealed firearm the least they will do is confiscate it. The attached PDF file expands on my research on Tribal Codes. These are the ordinances I could find concerning carrying firearms on the listed Reservations. About 60 of the 800 or so Tribes the US Government recognizes have their ordinance on line that I could find. Every entry has a link to that tribes ordinances for you to check on yourself. The list is broken down by state. There are a couple double entries as a couple reservations are in two different states.

I hope you find this info useful. I would appreciate if you know of any Tribes not listed that have a website and have their ordinances on line or you have a copy of their ordinances if you would drop me an email at admins@handgunlaw.us

Attachments

We don't have any reservations here in Kentucky. However, I can appreciate the great effort it took to compile your research. Thanks!

Have you gone here for info?

http://www.tribal-institute.org/lists/codes.htm

Also, just note. In most states (if not all) you are safe on a public road that goes through the reservation that is patrolled by the state or county law enforcement agencies.

For example 191 or 160 through the Navajo Nation is ok. In fact, some of the Navajo nations in AZ allow carry with a permit.

Another example is I-40 through OK. You go in and out of Indian reservations quite often.

I have to say that...

if I was a Native American 'confined' to a reservation... I would for sure do my best to keep armed white men out.... but then, historically that too has not worked out very well.

I came from the Rosebud Sioux Reservation in Todd Co., SD originally. On my last hunting trip there, two hunting rifles and my .45 sidearm were confiscated by the tribal police and held for a full day while my registrations were looked into. Reason being, my MS residence and gun registrations were not compliant with local law. While my property was returned the following day without apology, I still found it ironic, especially since one of the arresting officers was a person I'd gone to school with and had a long-standing friendship with when I was a kid.

Back