Update on Ohio Concealed Carry effort...

ame12

Inactive
http://www.ofcc.net

Over the past few years the founders of this organization have watched as the states surrounding Ohio have acquired new or improved CCW "rights". We've watched as our previous Governor threatened to Veto a law that would give citizens of Ohio the right to defend themself from certain death.

When Bob Taft ran for Governor he promised the citizens of Ohio he would sign a CCW bill into law. This obviously helped him win the position he now holds. Many people believed in Mr. Taft, some even donated cash. As time went on Mr. Taft changed his statement to require law enforcement support. Without such support Mr. Taft said he would veto any such bill. As more time went on a law enforcement organization decided to publically disagree with any form of CCW. This gave Mr. Taft a way out, and he has now threatened to veto what he previously said he'd support.

This behavior is like de ja vu to Ohioans following this cause. We formed this organization to make sure this issue stops getting swept under the carpet. We formed this organization to educate Ohioans unfamiliar with the cause. Too many people are "brainwashed" but the anti-gun media attempts at dismissing firearms as the tools of criminals. The media never tells you how many times law abiding citizens use firearms in self defense. The media never tells you the Ohio constitution guarantees to each Ohio citizen the right to have a firearm with them for self defense. We hope by educating the citizens of Ohio we can collect thousands upon thousands of signatures supporting our cause.

OFCC's founding president was inspired by the attempts and success of KC3 (Kentucky Coalition for Concealed Carry). This group was formed just a few years ago. With two years of work they managed to collect enough signatures in the State of Kentucky to pass CCW. We hope to follow in their footsteps. ...

Sadly CCW in Ohio is not gaining any ground. Since 1996, the carrying of a weapon, gun or whatever, concealed or open has been illegal.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Section 2923.12
General Assembly: 121
Bill Number: Amended. Sub. S.B. 2
Effective Date: 07/01/96
(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on his or her person or concealed ready at hand, any deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance. [/quote]

This was pointed out to me Saturday in a discussion of CCW with a local LEO at the firing range.

Toledo, appears to suffer from a Morton Grove Wannabe complex. Thanks ame12 for the efforts. The ofcc link has been my sig since I found out about it. Glad to have another "Buckeye" in here. Darn Texans still outnumber us though ;)

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.

[This message has been edited by Hal (edited October 06, 1999).]

Hal, part of the problem as I see it is the outrageous ambiguity of the law. I have a attorney friend in Northern Ohio who told me about a client - an apartment building owner who, after two armed BGs attempted to rob him, pulled a sidearm and wounded both.

Because of the neighborhood, the 'prudent man' clause, etc. the attorney successfully defended the client who was found to have acted solely in self defense.

This ambiguity, IMO, is outrageous:

===
It is unlawful to "knowingly carry or have, concealed on his person or concealed ready at hand, " any firearm. Exempt from this prohibition are: officers, agents, and employees of a state or the federal
government or law enforcement officers authorized and acting in the scope of their employment. State law permits the carrying of a handgun openly, but many municipalities prohibit any carrying of firearms.

It is an affirmative defense to a charge of carrying a concealed weapon if the person was:

1. In his own home;

2. Engaged in or going to or from his business or occupation which is of such character as to justify a "prudent man in going armed;"

3. Engaged in lawful activity and had good reason to fear attack on himself or family such as to justify a "prudent man in going armed."
===

I would feel 'prudent' arming myself to visit the ATM in some areas. What is prudence'? Who judges it?

These are some of the gray areas that need to be resolved in favor of the citizens of Ohio.

BTW, I believe open carry in Ohio is not prohibited at all. That's how a security guard at the Cineplex gets to pack a Lorcin :->.

Stay well.

ame12,
Back some 25 years ago when I purchased my first center fire handgun, I asked the local police about a carry permit. At the time, I was told there was no such thing in Ohio, but that I could strap it on western style and carry just about anywhere in public. That one little "or" instead of an "and" in the law seems to be enough to get a lot of people on the open carry part of the law. I can only speculate that the law is enforced on a selective basis, otherwise a lot of hunters and those walking to the hunting areas would fall under the law.
You are 100% correct about the ambiguity of the law. Where I feel prudent these days seems to be bordered on the North by Lake Erie and the South by the Ohio river. In short just about anywhere in the State.
Are you part of OFCC?

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.

[This message has been edited by Hal (edited October 06, 1999).]

Hal, I guess I am part of OFCC. Jeff Garvas (in the Cleveland area) is spearheading the effort.

I've volunteered my time getting signatures at Hara Arena in Dayton (the Goodman show) and elsewhere in the Cincinnati area.

If you have any time to help out, email Jeff (jeff@ofcc.net) to see where he has some gaps.

Thanks much.

Back