Update: My first Ingots and bullets.

Wreck-n-Crew

Finally got to cast my ingots today. It went well. Bonus...the better half helped!
Used a propane torch and cast iron skillet after sorting my COWW's. Set it on a few blocks and started low and slow.
temporary-1.jpg

Went well and cleaned up the clips and dross.
temporary-3.jpg

Then I fluxed and cleaned again...
temporary-5.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/recncru1/temporary-4.jpg
temporary-4.jpg

Sorry bout all the pics...:o

And here are the ingots!
temporary-6.jpg

Went so well I said Why not cast some bullets?

Went so well I decided to cast some 9mm 120 TC from a Lee 6 cavity mold.
temporary-7.jpg

The pot warmed up quick!
temporary-8.jpg

My first bullets...
temporary-9.jpg

Add finally done!
temporary.jpg

Wanted to give and extra special thanks to all that helped! You rock and helped me to rock too!

Next (probably tomorrow) comes coating! Yay!:D:eek:

Looks Good. I'm in the process of acquiring supplies and hope to start casting soon. I would be very happy with that kind of turn out for a first time.
Thanks for the pics...

Ya did fine !!! preheating & hot alloy is what`s needed for good bullits from big aluminum blocks.

Wish my first turned out that good !!!

Pay attention to your settings so ya can duplicate what ever ya did `cause it worked!

Thermometer ????

Looks Good. I'm in the process of acquiring supplies and hope to start casting soon. I would be very happy with that kind of turn out for a first time.
Thanks for the pics...
Thanks and YW!

Here's the original post from when I decided to take the leap...http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546003
Some helpful hints in there and the basics from here on TFL Czsting 101....http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346199

You find tons of info as mentioned to me in my original post to check out http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

I meant to start before I did but life's unexpected changes kept me too busy and broke to even consider it. Now that I'm back in the groove I put it to work. There were a few unexpected results that were a pleasant surprise. The six cavity molds worked perfect out of the gate! I cleaned the molds then sooted-up the cavities jet black (just put the lighter to them but a match works great) Instead of bees wax on the bolts and sprue for lube I used anti-seize for bolts....careful not to get into cavities.

Ya did fine !!! preheating & hot alloy is what`s needed for good bullits from big aluminum blocks.

Wish my first turned out that good !!!
Thanks and thanks to all that helped or I feel it never may have been so successful!;)
Pay attention to your settings so ya can duplicate what ever ya did `cause it worked!

Thermometer ????
Read my mind and wished to mention this before any one thinking about casting read this....I got it a little hot trying to find the right setting and had to wait for the mold to cool down enough to cut the sprue....so I set the mold aside and dropped in a cold ingot in and cooled it down quickly. Got the setting right on the pot and marked it. Now it frost over in a second or two and ready to cut and dump in 5-7 seconds. I notice if I poor from the ladle too slow I it starts to cool and forms a lead icicle... Thermometer only got me close...the rest was instinctive. But not hard to tune in at all.

Be sure and size those .002 over bore diameter. I had problems with the TC mold in my CZ because I couldn't get them sized to .358.

Be sure and size those .002 over bore diameter. I had problems with the TC mold in my CZ because I couldn't get them sized to .358.
I have lee sizing dies. Your using .38/.357 bullet size in the CZ? I am powder coating them too. still working on method with a few test bullets....let you know how they turn out!

I realized the sizing die does not fit progressive press...after disengaging index...I realized the ram works off of the standard shell holders and not in the shell plates...so I have some magic to perform....time to make a ram!?...open to suggestion on that...lol

I realized the sizing die does not fit progressive press...after disengaging index...I realized the ram works off of the standard shell holders and not in the shell plates...so I have some magic to perform....time to make a ram!?...open to suggestion on that...lol

The right tool for the job is a single stage press. I doubt you would ever regret purchasing one. They are great for bullet sizing, other push through dies, small volume reloading, etc.

All of Smoke's powders will tumble, except black.
Smoke's powders

Harbor Freight's other colors will tumble too. PowderBuyThePound has a Super Durable Wet Black color that will tumble.
I think Eastwood also has a high gloss black that will tumble. I don't do much black, so I can't tell you about all of them.

Last edited:
All of Smoke's powders will tumble, except black.Smoke's powders

Harbor Freight's other colors will tumble too. PowderBuyThePound has a Super Durable Wet Black color that will tumble.
I think Eastwood also has a high gloss black that will tumble. I don't do much black, so I can't tell you about all of them.
Thanks for the heads up!;)

Definitely need to pick up another single stage.

If you are simply going to use this for sizing, I would say you would be hard pressed to find one cheaper than the small Lee.

I have a couple of them, one is used for sizing almost exclusively, the other is used for working up loads at the range, or small batches of handloads, and is mounted on a small piece of 1/4" x 4" flatbar. I have used it for sizing cases ranging from .223 up through 300 RUM so they will hold up to some use. Just make sure you slather a little moly grease on the shaft once in a while and your good to go.

Another suggestion, and I cannot take credit for it, we were watching a video the other day on PC'ing and when it came time to size, the fellow had his Lee press mounted upside down, with the sizing die screwed in from the bottom, so that the bullets just dropped right into the mouth of the sizing die.

Trust me when I say, it was one of those "AH HA" moments for sure.:D He had one of those small plastic bins that are so popular nowadays mounted under it on a slide so once done, he just slid the whole box of now sized bullet out and went over to the loading press.

If you are simply going to use this for sizing, I would say you would be hard pressed to find one cheaper than the small Lee.
Exactly was my thinking! Same page !:eek:

Don't mount it all wobbly neither. Mount it like JohnB_in_Glencoe!
You can swing from that baby!
Lol...I hear you. Man I realized that they take more force than just reloading my pistol calibers. Like the upside down idea to.

Finished up casting a small round today. Two calibers and just about five hundred (38/.357 and 40/10mm) Already have over a 1000 45's and 1600 9mm's. but it was more of a pain working with a different mixture. Plenty of antimony but not enough tin. The 9mm's were smooth using nothing but wheel weights. That and I moved the pot to the front porch and ran an extension cord. Think the cord slowed down my heating process a little too. I had to bump the dial up a hair.

The 38/.357's were a pain. Was casting the 158 gr SWC Lee 6 cavity and had a lot of poor fill till I got the heat up! Had to dump a few hundred back and got frustrated enough to quit for the day!...lol

Back