Up close and personal weapon: The Tomahawk?

Doug.38PR

Watching the movie The Patriot earlier today on TNT got me to thinking, that and growing up having watch Fess Parker handle a Tomahawk.

Wouldn't a sort of tomahawk be a good up close and personal weapon to conceal on you if you ever ran out of ammo and had to get up close and personal. Go Mel Gibson on the redcoats.:cool:

Guess this is sort of a sequel to my roll of quarters in a sock thread that everyone seems to love

Wouldn't a sort of tomahawk be a good up close and personal weapon to conceal on you if you ever ran out of ammo and had to get up close and personal.

A good fixed blade knife would be even easier. Some folks have even had the novel idea of carrying a reload or even a second gun!

Denny

If I was going to carry a non-gun as a weapon, I think I would like something a lil more "stabby" than a tomahawk. Reason is, if the gun is no longer an option, it will be because I am grappling with the BG. I won't be able to swing something very well then either.

I'm with the knife crowd. The basic disadvantage of a tomahawk is that it requires a swing to build up enough momentum to do damage. A knife is much more convenient, and also more concealable.

Not that you have to conceal a knife.

The guy who runs one of the top shooting schools in the country keeps a tomahawk in his vehicle. If you are ever trapped inside or under water & need to break out the windshield, it's a great tool. If someone reaches into the vehicle, it would also serve to dissuade them if you lopped off a hand!

And, they are "camping gear", legal everywhere. Probably even in Kalifornia!

If it is up close, I am a bare handed supporter. "Empty" hand combat inflicts physical damage, pain control points and a palm to the nostrils will be of better effect.

pain control points and a palm to the nostrils will be of better effect.

Assuming the other dude lets you...Sort of like how all of Jean-Claude Van Damm's opponents just wait, with their hands down, for him to kick them in the face?

:rolleyes: ;)

Ohhh I can't remember the name of the show on the History Channel, but it was a bald guy with a British accent talking about various weapons and tactics...anyway an axe or a hatchet is a good weapon, however it takes a lot of energy to use it, so if you don't get the BG in the first couple of swings, or if your fighting multiple guys your going to get worn out. Stabbing takes less effort, that why the little Romans did so well.

P.S. Combat...that is the name of the series.

Last edited:
You guys can have your fu man chu and pocket knives and I'll stick with my CQC hawk.

Attachments

• CQCT.jpg
    CQCT.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 178
Knives are preferable most of the time, but for offensive use, I do prefer a hatchet. 1 1/4lb Plumb Official BSA model. Don't care for a 'hawk, too thin.

Sam

Ohhh I can't remember the name of the show on the History Channel, but it was a bald guy with a British accent talking about various weapons and tactics

The show was called Conquest and the History Channel are too mean to show it again or put it out on video or dvd despite the request of hundreds if not thousands of people. The gits. But they always there with the tripe shows ready on dvd for $25 a pop. Rant complete.

Yes axes make very good weapons if you are practiced in using them and usually have the strength to back up the blow. I used to use them when re-enacting saxon and viking combat. Neat little buggers.

Back