UnusualColt Modei 1878 Revolver

Hard Ball

I recently aquired an 1878 Colt Model 1878 double action revolver, The unusual thing about it is that it is chambered for the .38 Long Colt cartridge. Was this some kind of special order or were some Colt 1878s produced in this caliber?

I may have found th answer to this question, I just this week got a new book on Colt Model 1878 revolvers by Don Wilkerson. It says that a total of 40 Model 1878s were produced in .38 Log Colt. This revolver is apparently one of them.

Dang Hardball. Harley Nolden's Institute for Firearms Research wasn't originally conceived of as a "self help" place. Are you trying to start a trend here? ;) Kudos to you for your research.

Sorry about that! I bought the book, which is excellent, if you are interested in Colt Model 1878s, and while researching a "Phillinenne" .45 variation of the 187, came on the .38 LOng Colt production figure. They convince me that I made a goob buy.

I have to admit that I had no idea that it was rare when I boight it. I just thought it was unusual and worth researching.

Back