Unusual ideas for IPSC competitions

xmastree

Out here in RP, we do a lot of IPSC competition shooting, and the clubs are always looking for new stage ideas.

For example, starting position sitting at a desk with the gun in a drawer. When the drawer is opened, it triggers some swinging targets which must be engaged.
That sort of thing.

I had an idea the other day involving a door, held closed with a pin, and a spring to pull it open. Engage a popper, when it falls it pulls the pin, door flies open, you shoot the target inside. Maybe two doors, with one friendly and one hostile, randomly placed.

Anybody got any good ideas? It's always nice to do something the other competitors have never seen before.

Something that I would try, is having the start position some distance from and out of view of the initial array. So many shooters go through a ritual that gets them on the first target, and I'd like to add at least a small element of surprise.
We've done a lot of stuff with doors that swing every which way, and you always have to be extra careful about warning people to not sweep themselves as they reach for the door; your pop-open door sounds cool.
A buddy and I recreated a moving target illustrated on the cover of last month's (IDPA) Tactical Journal. There are posts secured at each corner of a 30'x30' area, with pulleys attached at about 7' height. A line is strung between the two downrange posts, and a target hangs from that on a wheeled mount. A line is strung from each side of the target, through the pulleys, uprange to the rear posts/pulleys, and then attached to the shooter's belt. As the shooter moves to the left, the target moves to the right, and vice-versa. It works pretty well.

Hmm, Interesting idea, but I'm not sure about the safety issues of tying ropes to the competitor.

As for opening the door manually, I was at one recently and the RO was extremely careful explaining the best way to push the door so you don't end up pointing your gun at the back of your hand...

What about a target which moves from one side to the other, along a track? Pulled by a bungee cord, but with something to limit the speed. Maybe some kind of airbrake.
Triggered by a popper, it comes out from behind hard cover and moves across at a steady speed eventually disappearing behind more hard cover, so there's limited time to nail it.

What about a target which moves from one side to the other, along a track? Pulled by a bungee cord, but with something to limit the speed. Maybe some kind of airbrake.

dre, you can mount the track in an incline so the target can "free-fall" along it. Other crazy ideas would be:

1. If you have access to a big tire, you can mount a partial target in the center and roll it some way.

2. A swinging swinger. Imagine a swinger with 2 hinges and 2 different counter balance weights.

3. A moving swinger.

4. A "car" suspended in springs and shooting from inside it.

5. Or another car design with bearings as wheels. Mount it in inclined tracks and fashion a simple brake system. Upon signal, one can release the brake and shoot targets along side the car as they become visible as the car moves.

;)

you can mount the track in an incline so the target can "free-fall" along it.

I encountered one like that yesterday. A moving paper target on a frame suspended from an inclined beam. Hit the popper, as it falls it pulls the pin releasing the slider, which took about 3 seconds to reach the end.

Thankfully the final position left some of it exposed, because I couldn't hit it when it was moving.

One of the funny things about "new ideas", is they usually aren't.

Every time I think I've got some bang up idea and set it up at the match one or two of the old hands will nod and say something like, "yeah we did that at the 82 nats" :)

Geegaws are pretty cool but sometimes they take second place to target placement and stage design, which isn't cool.

Moving targets that move across the range are a great asset to a club. Just getting one that works reliablity throughout a match is a great coup and great fun for the shooters.

The GT targets out and back is pretty cool too. http://www.gttargets.com. best thing about that is you can change the speed so jokers like me who get them timed out gets burned when you add weight or shorten the stick.

ted

I was at a steel match ( http://www.ssashooter.net/ ) not too long ago where those that were shooting Open Guns had to shoot from a greater distance than those that were using iron sights. There was also a stage that required that the magazines have only 7 rounds but there were 32 targets...

There was also a stage that required that the magazines have only 7 rounds but there were 32 targets...
You mean that despite having high cap mags, you were only allowed to load 7 rounds?

I'd be stuck there, I shoot open, and I only have 3 mags...

Even if I borrowed two (as I'm sure there would be others in the same predicament) I still only have two pouches.

Thankfully the final position left some of it exposed, because I couldn't hit it when it was moving.
The rules require that moving targets have partial exposures in their final resting position. Otherwise, a completely hidden target doesn't incure an additional penalty for non-engagement (on top of the miss penalty). You can actually then opt not to shoot the target, end-up with a faster time and a higher hit factor for that stage even with the miss penalty. A calculable risk-advantage. ;)

Yes on that stage we were only allowed 7 rounds per magazine. As far as the pouches were concerned it was an inconvenience but the stage rules didn’t stipulate where the magazines had to be kept so some shooters placed magazines in strategic areas of the stage others placed them in their waistbands.

BTW, my CR Speed belt only has 3 CR Speed pouches so I did a little bit of both stuffed one in the waistband and left one in front of the last array since it had to be shot from inside a box.

Back