Unusual effect of fire on ammunition

AL45

The parents of an employee suffered a house fire recently. A .357 revolver was found in a closet in a charred holster. The revolver was fully loaded with 4 brass cased cartridges and two nickel plated cartridges. After inspecting the gun, the owner decided to fire the rounds. None of the brass cased cartridges fired but both of the nickel plated cartridges did fire. I wonder why? On a side note, the 9mm cylinder for this gun was found under what was left of the bed. It appeared to have been exposed to a lot of heat and I was wondering if it was now likely unusable?

Gutsy to fire them. I sure wouldn't have. No idea of the difference between the two cartridges.
As to the cylinder, how intense was the fire? Not hot enough to melt things because you still knew basically where the bed was and where the cylinder underneath was. That's not more heat than it might encounter in a long and particularly intense range session. I think you are okay to use the other cylinder.

Separate 9mm cylinder sounds like a Ruger. if so, CALL RUGER!

and, follow their recommendations.

That's not more heat than it might encounter in a long and particularly intense range session. I think you are okay to use the other cylinder.

I disagree. The process for heat treating steel involves a specific heating and cooling process. A fire is different, and CAN "de-temper" steel, under the right conditions.

And if your long and intense range sessions heat your gun to the degree of a house fire, your idea of intense is waaay more intense than mine. ;)

Back