Unusual Brow tines.....

Keg

My Son in Law shot this buck this morning....300 Win mag..Model 70..with BOSS.....

Attachments

• brows 011.jpg
    brows 011.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 191
  • brows 019.jpg
    brows 019.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Very nice buck.....and yes, those are some impressive brow tines. Don't often see the brow tines flattening like that. Looks like the possible start of what would have been future 'shoveling' of the tines.

Has he seen other bucks in the area with 'shoveling' tines?

I would be lieing if I told you that I wasn't envious. that is a beautiful buck. I hope to one day be lucky enough to get a rack like that. the looped tines are unique to be sure.

Nice buck! Interesting to say the least, one that I would probably mount just for a conversation piece. Unique racks are more interesting to me than huge antlers. If you can get both then that is a bonus!

A question about your aiming point...

it looks perfectly placed... a few inches behind the point of the elbow. Punches both lungs, and probably takes out the top of the heart.

I usually try for that point, too.

But they usually take off on a "death run" for 50 yards, or so. That makes recovery difficult, some times, due to dense cover.

So I wonder what would anchor them, DRT?

Maybe about 6 inches further forward - right on the shoulder bone?

The best luck I have had with anchoring a deer it to hit the front shoulders. The 45/70 is capable of breaking both front shoulder and possibly a few ribs when loaded with heavier bullets.

When hunting with my 357 magnum rifle I go for the heart/lungs... Honestly I do that with the 45/70 too but I have to admit I have been off a little before and taken out the shoulders. :o

Last edited:
Major Dave....That is exactly what happened....bled out about 30 yrds.....
I hunt the same stand and use a 308 carbine..shooting 150 grain corelocks....The shots are generally 100 yrds or less....I might hit a little closer to to the front leg..but don't take out the shoulder....They tend to fall in their tracks....But yes..the front shoulder will put em down....

The best luck I have had with anchoring a deer it to hit the front shoulders. The 45/70 is capable of breaking both front shoulder and possibly a few ribs when loaded with heavier bullets.

That doesn't take a whole lot. You can do the same with an appropriate bullet in anything larger than .220 Swift.

It's all about matching bullet/cartridge/game/rifle/conditions combination, to achieve the desired outcome.

Back