unsupported chamber?

ditty

Inactive
i was reading some of the posts and came upon something about how a glock 23's unsupported chamber is an issue. First of all what's that mean, an unsupported chamber. And secondly, does that affect its performance? If anyone could take the time to explain that to me id really appreciate it. Sorry if i sound like a jackass but im new to this whole gun thing, and this is my first post.

thanks

As I understand it, this means that the casing is not fully enclosed by the chamber. When you have a gun w/ a barrel that has an integral feed ramp, in order for the fresh round to feed properly, the area near the rim of the case cannot abrubtly come to chamber size, so you have unsupported brass there. To see how much, remove your barrel and drop a round in it, all of the side of the case you see is the unsupported part. Almost every semi-auto out there is similar to some degree in this respect. It is only an issue when messing w/ ridiculously hot loads that the brass cannot contain the pressure then your gun goes Kb! Also its why you might not have certain guns like the G23 chambered for hot calibers like say the .400 Corbon. If I'm wrong on that count someone let me know, I wouldn't mind having a Glock in something ridiculous like that. Kinda like a mini "Ragin Glock" :D. As far as the other posts, just keep in mind while good advice abound here, take it w/ a grain of salt, some would have you believe that Glocks blow up if you look at them funny, guess they have a tupperware phobia.

Glock chambers are not only unsupported, but also slightly oversized to enhance feeding. They present no problem in the 40 caliber variants provided you use factory ammo or reloads of a moderate power factor. One of the problems I did encounter when I reloaded for the 40 was that due to the unsupported and oversized nature of the Glock chamber, some of the brass would not size properly and left a bulge at the base of the case. I discarded these cases because I was not willing to take a chance on a KB. The Jarvis barrels for Glocks are fully supported and have a smaller chamber. The one I had fed everything without a hitch and provided an extra measure of assurance when shooting hotter loads.

Back