unprotected ears = flinch???

Status
Not open for further replies.

e a c

Inactive
I'm kind of new to the handgun scene, and I've never fired a handgun without ear protection. The noise from a 9mm or a .40 is really loud. How could one expect to defend one's life, without ear protection, and not flinch? How is one expected to really react to the deafening noise, especially withing a closed area (inside). Television portrays a gunshot sound no louder than a cap gun! Has anyone out there had to defend themselves with a handgun, and could you please reveal if noise a major factor? Any experiences where a gun saved you or your family's life?

EAC,

In a jackpot situation, you most likely won't notice the noise. You'll experience time distortion, tunnel vision, and reduced hearing, as well as some other effects.

BUT, make sure you have good hearing protection when you're practicing live-fire, regardless of caliber. If you can afford tactical gear (like ProEars or Peltor), go for it. They're not practical on the street, but they're great for home.

HTH.

------------------
"Janet Reno is the fire that ignites my loins."
--Joe Cartoon

Thankfully I have never had to use any of my personal weapons to protect life or limb...

But I am sure if I did, the loud BANG!!! from my weapons would be the least of my worries... in a life or death scenerio!!!

The noise could also serve as a "GOOD" thing as it does two things that you do not have too...

1) It alerts others to the danger (i.e. neighbors, pedestrians, LEOs etc. etc.)

2) 10 out of 10Xs it probably scares the S---! out of any other would be attackers in your home or other environment...

Some guns are louder than others, I have found shooting .357 mags deafining at times, even with ear protection...

I shoot .45ACPs which are generally subsonic that aren't any problem on my ears, with just standard ear plugs...

Also you know the BANG! is coming, so it should not be as big a problem as for someone who does not (i.e. would be attackers!!!)
That does not mean to anticipate it, that simply means deal with it...

Your adrenaline should take care of the rest!!!

P.S. Any GUN GUY will tell you that the key is not to "anticipate" when shooting...
The reason someone might "FLINCH" is if they anticpated...
------------------
SURE SHOT

[This message has been edited by James Montes (edited October 21, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by James Montes (edited October 21, 1999).]

As someone else indicated, if you're shooting for your life, your hearing is the least of you worries. But any other time, you should have good ear protection.

One course I took, a year or two ago, recommended the eletronic ear muffs for home protection: they amplify sounds when just listening, but shut down if the sound level (as in a gunshot) is too high. If you think you've got a breakin, for example, that would be ideal -- to hear clearly, and still be protected.

I'm going to get a set in the next month or two and keep them handy in the house (and use them at the range.)

In a life or death situation (which is when you should be firing your gun without ear protection) your brain will give you a massive dump of adrenaline (epinephrine), what is sometime called the "fight or flight syndrome" or the "Tachy-Psyche" effect.
Whatever you call it, many things will happen. Heart rate goes up, peripheral blod vessels dialate. You'll probably get tunnel vision, things will seem to move in slow motion and your gun will probably sound like a small pop gun if you hear it at all.

If you want a better idea, pick up some literature to read about some persoanl experiences. One book I recommend to everyone is Massad Ayoob's "In the Gravest Extreme". It is a must read for anyone that thinks they might need to fire a firearm in self defense. Good luck!

------------------
Knee deep in brass, still shootin fast!

[This message has been edited by kingknives (edited October 21, 1999).]

I hunt deer with an old 30-30. It would make me deaf shooting it at the range without ear plugs, but I never recall even noticing the noise while shooting deer. I imagine it would be similar.

I feel that the noise is what causes people to gain a flinch. I developed one with my shotgun and it took quite a bit of dry firing to work it out. I usually shoot with both ear plugs and muffs. There is no need to hear the boom or crack.

In any high adreneline situation, I would be suprised if you heard much of anything while it was happening. I have no doubt that you would damage your hearing firing a gun in an enclosed space.

Always wear eye and ear protection at the range. But at home, you probably won't have the time to dress up (eyes, ear, black nomex suit with hood and gloves). Like Coinneach and kingknives said, you'd probably wouldn't hear the gun go off. What they've described happens to a lot of police officers who experience an on duty shooting.

So, don't even let the thought arise in a real self defense situation. Since you should be concerned about saving your life, the life of a loved one or a friend, or any of the aforementioned from great bodily harm, your thoughts should be on neutralizing the threat.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back