Unpredictability of handguns

DAL

Here's a link to a local newspaper story about a dog that was shot in the head (through the snout) by a cop. The dog survived, although it will need to go through some more surgery. I just thought it was an interesting comment on how you can never tell exactly what will happen when using a gun for self protection. The article doesn't say what caliber handgun was used, but I'll bet it was at least a 9mm (and that's not a knock on that caliber).

BTW, the dog in the picture looks exactly like my dog, who's a Rottweiler(sp?)/Black Lab mix.
DAL
http://www.gazette.com/archive/99-12-11/

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

AFAIK, Colorado Springs cops carry .45ACP in pistols and .38/.357 in revolvers.

Something about this story --assuming we got the goods to begin with-- strikes me as odd. The cop couldn't get to his spray, but he could get to his gun? Horsehockey. If it's true, then Eckenroth needs some remedial training in tactics; you don't put yourself in a position where you can't get to all of your weapons. Of course, since he didn't expect to see a dog although there was a doghouse between his cruiser and the house, his situational awareness is minimal at best.

I think Eckenroth just panicked when he saw this dog barking at him, and used the last resort first.

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Either dogs are spawn of Satan or bullets just zip right through them. With heavy heart I relate the following two incidents for your consideration. A friend once put 5 rounds of 9mm FMJ from a CZ75 through a rabid dog and it wouldn't go down. Not until my friend got a solid head shot did the poor creature die. On another occasion a buddy had to put down a feral dog that was going around killing small livestock and threatening children. The canine took three body hits from a 9mm S&W until it expired.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

That's because you need to watch the old B&W "To Kill a Mockingbird" again...it plainly shows that a 30-40 Krag is the caliber for rabid beasts.

Back