Unknown sxs 10 guage

gfrey

Hi,

I have a SxS 10 guage in bad shape that appears to have few markings.

What have found:

Under lug (hidden when barrels on):
3329 on one side,
a couple of funny stamps, one looks like a diamond, then a pi with a third leg, topped by a star under the other barrel..

on the bottom of the barrels, 10 o inside a diamond, a b l g star inside a circle topped with a crown(?) an ak(Topped with a dot?), the number 19.2, and a few marks that almost look like british currency sign (not quite 3 8s overlapping).

The two barrels measure 31 3/4 " from back of tube to muzzle.

The receiver has some drop to butt. Two triggers in triggerguard, front one is fairly straight, back one is shorter, tightly curved. The pistol grip is semi curved, and slims to a bump rather than staying the same size (so this shotgun is unlike my rem760 where pistol grip comes down and ends ina grip cap the size of the grip. Does this make sense?)

There is some checkering on grip, the two side plates appear to have some engraving, and the two exposed hammers look like an upside down comma swirled up and a bent tooth on top. there is a small teardrop shaped area on top of hammers that is checkered. The hammers each hit a cone shaped pin that actually then protrudes into chamber where primer would be!

There is what I would consider a standard long swivel tang release to release the barrels. the top of the receiver between the barrels has a cone shaped area for a cone shaped tang on barrels to meet at lockup.

The only other defining feature is rust! It was given to someone who gave it to me.

(for those looking for a forearm description, I gave it. There is none.)

Any ideas what I have here? it is in very rough shape. I am NOT going to fire it. I am just curious what IS it?.

I will check back tomorrow while at work, but I obviously won't have the shotgun with me then.

TIA

GFrey

Those marks sound like Liege, Belgium, proof marks (is that "E L G" rather than "B L G"?). I don't know how old your gun is, but I am willing to bet it is around 100 years old and has Damascus barrels, another good reason for not shooting it (with any load, no matter what some people will try to tell you). Those guns were turned out by the thousands in Belgium and sold around 1900 for all of $5 or so. They were made for a short 10 ga. shell and modern shells should not fit. Unfortunately sometimes they do, and the result can be very unpretty indeed.

I would remove the firing pins or grind them off so the gun can't be fired accidentally, and hang it on the wall with a suitable story about your great great grandfather shooting Native Americans, or the Wild Bunch, or whomever.

Jim

gfrey:
Just to add to what Jim has said, the following story may put some light on the subject.

CRESCENT ARMS

This Company mfg’d good quality, inexpensive side by side and single Bbl shotguns and was founded in 1883. They were bought by the H&D Folsom Arms Company of New York, importers and distributors of firearms and sporting goods.

After the purchase of Crescent, the Folsom Company was able to offer a complete range of shotguns, imported English French, Belgium and American made Crescents. By the turn of the century Crescent Arms produced huge quantities of “Hardware Guns” it produced guns under direct contract to distributors, mail order housed and hardware distributors with any brand name the customer requested. Crescent also produced guns for its parent company, as Folsom house brands that were sold to customers that did not want their own brand name.

By the lat 1890's Crescent was producing basically five grade of dbl bbl shotguns offering a model for most tastes. The Crescent /Folsom Arms Company continued this type of business until 1930 when it merged with Davis Warner Arms Corp and became the Crescent-Davis Arms Corp. In 1932 it assets and machinery were bought by Stevens Arms Company, a victim of changing tastes and the depression

HJN

Thanks,

Yes the idea was to eventually make a wall hanger.

I just wanted to know what I was given.

Some of the screws have bee replaced with wood screws,
and the rust, well, I may try some flitz on it to see. The Stock isn't just cracked, it has been nailed, several times.
(Hmm, maybe a candidate for a gun buy back???? Nah, it's worth more than that.)

The barrels don't look damascus, but given the age you state, they probably are.

As to the proof mark being E L G instead of BLG, could be.

Again, Thanks

Back