Unknown Revolver

Falcon5NZ

G'day all

This is a mates revolver (been-in-the-family-for-years type thing). Anyway can anyone give me any clues as to what it is?

It's obviously a clockwise rotating cylinder (which made me think Colt, but the grip doesn't look "Colt-ish") but beyond that...I've got nothing and hoping that someone will recognise it.

I believe it to be chambered in a .38 cal metallic cartridge.

Nick

attachment.php

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 498
The styling is definitely Webley Bulldog, but these revolvers were copied in even greater numbers by the Belgians; both the UK and Belgium have clear proof marks that will let you know which country it was built in. If you open the loading gate and rotate the cylinder, you should be able to see a number of marks showing where it was tested. If one of those marks is "ELG" inside an oval (sometimes with a crown on the oval), it'll be Belgian.

Here's a .380 Bulldog for comparison. Pretty similar.
arm276.jpg

On the other hand, if it does not have Webley markings, it could be one of many European (especially Belgium) knock-off's made during the same time period.

I think Belgian; it appears too crude to be Webley. The grips obviously are not original, and I guess anyone can take any meaning they want from the notches.

Jim

Gday all

Got a chance to look at the revolver, No marks that I saw. It's got no "axle" for the cylinder and is being held in place by the ejector rod. I'd say the sear or timing are wrecked as it won't cock for SA or fire as a DA.

Apparently it sort of "appeared" in the family and even my mates father doesn't father doesn't know where it came from.

All I know is that down here was famous for moonshine (Yes, Southland did have it in the Hokonui hills. The old man dug up a sawn off on our farm once) so that could explain the grips. Or I could be a crude attempt at checkering.

Thanks for the help

I'd say a Bulldog. A pretty gun, but I'd never fire it. More of a wall hanger than anything. Now I gotta watch the Johnny Depp version of Sherlock Holmes!

Great gun for "talk," but not much else these days.

Back