Unknown Makarov Markings

MacMakarov

Inactive
I have recently obtained a Makarov with markings I cannot find an attribution for. I have posted a similar message to this one in the Semi-Auto Forum.

The pistol came with the Red Star grips and in a Russian Holster. I paid 200.00 for it - tax, title and liscense so-to-speak.

The weapon was imported by Century Arms International and bears their import stamp of CAI ST ALB VT.

Additionally, one side has an additional import mark of "CZECH" while the otherside (same side as the CAI Stamp) is stamped in two places "GERMANY".

The gun does not appear to have been remanufactured.

The original marks appear to be the matching serial numbers on the slide and frame - AZ 3861, the number "61", and a manufacturers mark on the frame at the trigger end. This mark is a lower case "y" with an arc of 5 stars above it. The lower case "y" is the upper case "U" in the Cyrillic Alphabet. Could this be a Russian Makarov?

Confused!?! Would appreciate any enlightenment you could provide.

Thanks, Mac.

Can't help you myself, but you should try the Makarov experts over at Makarov.com

http://www.makarov.com

They have a message board that addresses issues like this. Plus, it's a very nice crew headed up by Mr. Makarov himself, Karl Bloss.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Back