Unknown Bullet

macsr01

I found this Bullet in Sicily near Agrigento. There are a series of German pill boxes near the coast where I found this but I'm thinking it's not 7.92 mm, looks to large. The pics are not the best, anyone have any idea what this is and what type of rifle or machine gun fired it ?

Attachments

• bullet 3.jpg
    bullet 3.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 124
  • bullet 2.jpg
    bullet 2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 89
Actually, using the highly precise "trace the bullet onto a piece of paper from screen and compare to shown ruler scale" method, this seems to be approximately a 10 mm diameter round. Makes me wonder if someone tried a 408 Chey-tac against a pill box.

I'n not convinced this is 7.92 mm. It Diameter looks to large, it is does look like it was machined instead of cast, pics dont show a lot of detail I know

You could very well be right but how would It separate from the rest of the bullet that cleanly - no residue of anything else on it.

It's easy to strip the jacket and lead off a steel core bullet. Just fire into the ground and dig. I've done it with 7.62x54R surplus. You'll find the core nor more than about 5 inches in.

I don't know how anyone can come to any conclusion based on the photos provided. Why not measure it with a micrometer?

Well I guess that answers that fellas, I burned through a bunch of ammo on an M2 but I never saw the core out of an AP round. Learn somthin new every day

Back