Unknown Barrel

shuvelrider

This was shown to me today at the lgs, found inside the lining of a gun case. Smooth bore, roughly 12" long, threaded and has flats for a wrench to install. End of bore is drilled for a bead sight. Gunshop guy has no clue, a specialty barrel that would seem to thread into a receiver of some type. Any idea's????
7WSHDNK.jpg

12 gauge for approximate diameter, the outside has an aged patina. I don't know what is meant by a "sub-gun device" as mentioned above.

Is it smooth and uniform the full length? Or is there a chamber cut into it too? My best guess is this is not a barrel, but a magazine. Unless there is a ring defining a chamber.

My guess is that it started as a sub gauge adapter. Note the lack of extractor/ejector cuts.

Imagine a secondary barrel that goes inside of a shotgun barrel to allow the shooter to use a different gauge. They are really only useful in break action shotguns.

The threading and bead hole are strange. I suspect the previous owner might have been starting a less legal project.

I don't know what is meant by a "sub-gun device" as mentioned above.

An insert that fits inside a 12 ga barrel that allows you to shoot 20, 28, or 410 shells in the same gun. They used to be somewhat common in O/U shotguns for guys who shot clay games that required courses to be fired with multiple gauge guns. Was cheaper to do that than buy multiple guns.

I'm not too familiar with them, but this is my best guess.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2012/04/turn-your-12-gauge-4-guns-upgrade

Is it smooth throughout? Or does there appear to be a chamber in it?

If there's no chamber cut, it's an ancillary part or accessory. (Extended choke, gas chamber for an auto-shucker, bloop tube, magazine extension, ...something.)

If there's a chamber, it's a barrel - either from an SBS or someone drawing outside the lines.

The consensus on another site is an extension for the Cutts Compensator to shoot trap. Virginian got it right, but I'm not buying ya a chicken dinner :P. I've never seen one either, another oddity for the curio shelf.

Back