Unknown 7mm Rifle

haduj

Inactive
Hey guys, cannot figure out what this is.
Only labeling is the "7mm" stamp, serial twice 12,xxx and "Mark II" on the back of the safety. Then there is the Fajen stock, which I figure is not too helpful as it is likely an aftermarket stock?

Of course a quick search for "7mm Mark ii" ends you up with all Ruger M77 results for days, while I see similarities with them, the serial seems like it is not right for that.

Halp!

Attachments

• 20160823_170045 1.jpg
    20160823_170045 1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 20160823_170142 1.jpg
    20160823_170142 1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 20160823_170212 1.jpg
    20160823_170212 1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 127
Sporterized military Mauser .After market safety.7x57 There were many military Mausers in 7x57 especially in latin America .That cartridge started as a military one , then has had a long successful hunting record !

Mauser 93, probably spanish 1893 or 1916. There are others, but spanish are most common. 7mm stamp is done after surplus sale, all spanish 93 Mausers were 7X57

I think a 1916 with the oval "Hatcher Hole."

The Mark II safety is a commercial part, installed to allow a low scope mount.

Most likely the gunsmith who sporterized it stamped the caliber, military weapons are seldom marked; you are issued ammo and don't have to buy it. A very conscientious gunsmith, there are a LOT of sporterized military rifles with no sign of the caliber and a LOT of Internet Inquiries.

Amazing

Thanks for the help, very informative!! Reading into that, I see that the "hatcher hole" would have been added years later for safer gas relief? This might help prevent injuries if the primer is pierced as I saw in another thread here? Yes I am new to bolt action all together >__<

Thanks again. I will add a more complete photo after putting some more work into it.

Last edited:
Well, the real Hatcher Hole was drilled in 1903 Springfields but the oval hole in the upgraded Spanish Mauser serves the same purpose of gas escape from a pierced primer.

If the bolt face is flat on the bottom. it'a an 1893 Mauser. If it is round on the bottom, it's an 1895 Mauser. Probably reasonable safe to assume it's a 7x57 chambering but it sure wouldn't hurt to have a gunsmith check that out. If the bore is good it should be a nice lightweight shorter once you get used to cocking on the closing stroke.
Paul B.

Definitely looks like a small ring intermediate length Mauser from the limited pictures I see. Also looks like you need to fix a crack in the tang area of the stock. Looks like when the stock was fitted they didn't relieve enough area around the tang and that's what has caused your crack.

Funny you say that because the first thing I noticed after snapping the photo was that crack which had gone unnoticed before and nowhere near that prominent comparing from life to the image. Crazy what photos can bring out ya know?

Hey Paul I see that the bolt is flat on the bottom and this would then be a Mauser 93, but then I see that could also mean 1916 which has a flat bottom bolt as well,is that right?. Thank you!!

Last edited:
Back