Universal M1 carbine

Ernest T. Bass

Saw a universal 30 cal. carbine in the gun store today. Have always wanted an M1 carbine and was wondering if the asking price of $189.00 is resonable. Just looking for a decent shooter. Thanks.

I was asking about the gun for a friend of mine. The dealer I was talking to said that the model made by "universal" is highly unreliable, and not worth the money you might pay for it. Based on his experience I would say, "Go with a different maker."

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

www.quixtar.com
referal #2005932

Aside from the magazines, the parts on the Universal aren't interchangeable with the GI M1 Carbines. Including stocks.

My $0.02 - spend the extra $$$, get a GI M1 carbine. Or, if they just want a plinker, get a 10/22.

I bought a Universal carbine brand-new about thirty years ago, shot it for a while, then passed it along to my younger brother, who still shoots it occasionally. Neither of us has had a problem with it as far as reliability is concerned.

However, just as Dave says, not all Universal parts interchange with GI. On the one I bought, the trigger housing is a somewhat crude alloy casting held to the frame by a roll pin. A GI trigger housing can be substituted but won't fit the stock opening. Also on mine, a GI bayonet won't attach despite the bayo lug, not that this matters much.

So, I'd also rather pay extra to get a GI carbine.

Like our members said, save your money. Universal and Plainfield (both makers of carbine lookalike replicas) were scorned in the days of my youth ('76). We wouldn't touch them then and I can't recommend them now. Buy GI.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back