Universal M1 Carbine Slide for Late Model Carbines

jski

Those interested in a new late model Universal slide "made of 4130 steel heat treated to 35Rc" can go here.

pix029492670.jpg

I bought one of these puppies and replaced the factory slide strictly as a precautionary measure. Fit perfectly as is ... without modification.

Last edited:
BTW, someone care to comment on "4130 steel heat treated to 35Rc" as a quality of steel? Extremely good? Very good? Etc.

4130 is a chrome-moly steel, very similar in composition to 4140 (the "ordnance steel"normally found in US-made firearms).

Why would our gunsmith here (BKHose) have gone with 4130 v. 4140?

What about "heat treated to 35Rc"?

BTW, it's physically a beefier piece of steel than the factory slide.

Last edited:
Update: Universal M1 Carbine Slide Late Model

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/788585662

Aside: I've always wonder, had the late model Universal M1 Carbine design been implemented with high grade, top quality steel would it have proven to be a better design than the GI design? Heresy! I know.

Last edited:
"...would it have proven to be a better design..." No. It's not just the poorly made, stamped, op handle that makes late model Universals junkers. Mind you, a buddy of mine had one that never gave him any grief.
Real Carbines, from 10 different makers and hundreds of parts makers, were used in several wars in all kinds of really crappy conditions from salt water, sand and the really, really crappy conditions of Korea and just worked.

Last edited:
I've got a Universal my dad bought new in 69. I've fired no telling how many thousands of rounds out of it and it's still going strong. If it breaks tomorrow it will have been well worth the 99 bucks my dad paid for it.

$99 in 1969 is at least $450 today. Ok for an universal. I saw one in pawn shop for a bit less than that, but wasn't brand new.

The best universal I have seen was literally 100% GI. It would be a great deal for one of those.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I disagree on the weldability of 4140. Place I retired from did it regularly. It needs to be pre-heated, welded with the right wire and post heated to cool down.

Back