universal depriming die

oldbear1950

I am thinking of purchasing an universal depriming die. I currently use a lee and a lyman priming tool that is hand held.
What does every one think of the universal depriming tools?

I have a lee universal decapping die. Works ok. Looking to try the dillon depriming die in the near future. looks like a batter design to me.

Last edited:
Lee APP press with universal de-capping die. makes short work of larger batches of brass. takes a min to set up for different cases but, when it is in tune, as fast as you can pull the lever...boop, boop ,boop.. and you're done. best feature is the positive capture of the spent primers. all land in a sealed jar, ready for disposal outside. if you shoot in volume and wet tumble, this system works well.

just my 2 cents

I'm old school (and cheap) my "off the press" depriming tool is the Lee military decapper set and a hammer. Its cheap, virtually unbreakable (and if you do manage that somehow, Lee will replace it) and the ash doesn't get in or on my press.

can't really do it watching tv though, wife cares too much about the livingroom coffee table,,,,:D

additional benefit is the .22 and .30 caliber punches can be used to return many bent case mouths to round, or close enough to it so they can go into the sizer die.

And, I get to hit something, too!
:rolleyes:

i have one of the press decappers i used in a small lyman press, and i will admit it has seen thousands of rounds. and like said it does keep all of the ash and dirt off the loading press

however a few years back i invested in a Harvey hand held decaper and i will tell ya it is way faster, it will work with multiple cases and you can do it anywhere

it probably costs about twice as much as a decapping die but if you toss in the cost of a dedicated press to keep the dirt off your loading press, hell even the small presses are expensive these days, maybe not so much

i think there are other hand held decappers out there but i liked the Harvey so thats what i went with........no regrets, money well spent

my .02

ocharry

I believe the Lee to be a fine decapper die. This is because you can set it up to barely hold the rod. Then when you get a verdant case, th3 rod moves instead of snapping the tip off. Additionally, there are several sources of replacement tips.

It does not fit the WSM nor my Lapua flash holes in 6PPC, so I bought the Mighty Armory which is a great die.

If you want my Lee, PM me an offer. Shipping will be like $8 priority, but a padded envelope might go first class.

I use a Mighty Armory decap die and it doubles a de-crimp die as well with just a change of the pins. Unscrew the top, push one pin out, drop another pin to de-crimp. Can get the correct size pins for the Lapua flash holes as well if needed. I use the small de-capp pin for the Lapua 6BR brass in all of my de-cap process. Never need to adjust the die for different brass or calibers.

My de priming is with a single stage press and a caliber specific full length sizing die.
Some of us prefer to wet tumble before sizing as the brass drains and dries a lot better with the primers out. If your dry tumbling that would be the way to do it though.

I prefer to wet tumble. The brass comes out cleaner inside and out, looks like new. Keeps my dies and my chambers cleaner. It also looks really really good. With that said, dry tumbling gets the job done too, and with a little less work IMHO, but now that I have tried wet tumbling, im addicted. I cant go back.

Last edited:
I use the Lee depriming tool in an old Lee Reloader Press for most of my decapping, have been for years. I use a L.E.Wilson punch and base for the rest. I don't want the crud on my 'good' presses and I like to clean my brass before sizing.
I'm still using an old Lee hand priming tool, still works good and I just haven't 'upgraded'.
:)

+ 1 for the Lee universal depriming die.
I also bought the cheapest Lee press they make and mounted the universal depriming die and use that press for all my depriming.

I have deprimed over 40,000 brass with that set up and it is still going strong.
Never even had to change a depriming pin, at least so far.

Using a separate depriming die keeps all my expensive sizing dies from getting dirty.
They only are used with brass that has been cleaned.

I also use the Lee die. It's a tight fit on my .204 so I filed a chamfer on the rod to guide it into the case mouth and not catch the edge.

lee deprming die

I honestly never thought of that. I do have a lee hand press, have had one for years, just never used it . Sounds like a good idea to me

lee depriming die

I did order a lee depriming die, now guess I have to set up my old RCBS rock chucker press, and have a use for it, I have not used that press in years.
I have a set of lee shell holders so I can deprime just about any brass.

I did order a lee depriming die, now guess I have to set up my old RCBS rock chucker press, and have a use for it, I have not used that press in years.
I have a set of lee shell holders so I can deprime just about any brass.
sounds good, have fun depriming. I use a universal deprime with my lee app press. makes quick work of large batches of brass.

I use a Mighty Armory decap die and it doubles a de-crimp die as well with just a change of the pins. Unscrew the top, push one pin out, drop another pin to de-crimp. Can get the correct size pins for the Lapua flash holes as well if needed. I use the small de-capp pin for the Lapua 6BR brass in all of my de-cap process. Never need to adjust the die for different brass or calibers.
I also have the Mighty Armory decapping die. It's called the "Magnum". I also got the primer pocket swaging kit that comes as an accessory item.

I typically use this die to decap using my Lee hand press as sitting at tableside I can decap brass much faster than sitting at my reload bench (RCBS RC IV). Unfortunately the swage kit does not fit the hand press. No big deal.

Mighty Armory makes good stuff and is a solid vendor.

I use the FW Arms decapping die. Best I’ve used. I never broken their regular size pin. Easily better than the Lee decapping die. I’ve broken plenty of the Lee pins before moving to the FW Arms recapping die. The FW Arms decapper cuts through brass like it’s butter.

I also use the hand held Harvey Decapper for Lapua brass with the small flash hole. Works great but not as fast as the FW Arms die. I don’t recommend the FW Arms decapper with the small diameter decapping pin for Lupau brass. Those pins will break due the size.

I’ve read the Mighty Armory decapper is good too.

Last edited:
Back