Uniformity vs. Being Mission-Oriented

Why is it that regular units must be for the most part uniform in their equipment, weapons, and actual uniform, while special forces and similar units do not? As i understand it, the purpose of uniformity is so everything is standardized, you know where you buddy's ammo/equipment/etc. is if he goes down or something like that. But after speaking to different SF guys, they tell me that they pretty much get to pick what uniform they're in and what weapons they use based on the mission and commanders intent.
What got me thinking about this was that in my ROTC unit, the equipment we get isn't the best. Since my first year in ROTC i've been buying a lot of my own gear, which has proven itself to be much better than what i've been issued. No one really cares since this is just ROTC but what about the real Army? Army equipment has improved overall but there are still a lot of better civilian alternatives, especially with clothing, knives, etc. What I want to know is how much does this apply in an actual unit? And what about Law Enforcement? Does the LEO get to pick his own gear? I suppose it would vary by department and be subject to liability issues. Anyways, i'd like to hear your opinions about this, especially prior service and LEO's.

When in doubt, Take 'em out

Gunny SpecOp is given a lot more credit for being able to make critical choices than PFC Bagadonuts.

One group is made up of elite warriors. The other group is largely full of FNGs with a couple of months worth of training.

The regulars learn to buy some of their own gear pretty quickly. They just don't have an unlimited wish list like the commando types.

Being a reservist, I end up buying EVERYTHING myself, even the mundane crap like my BDUs. A lot of guys deploy with backup weapons that are strictly verboten, but nobody asks and they don't tell. Just about everyone runs out and buys a Camelback and a decent pair of boots.

Airborne Cadet:

It really depends on your unit of assignment. I've been in units where there was absolute standardization of LBE and other field gear and I've been in units where you could pretty much use what you wanted. I actually used an Arktis Chest Rig to augment my issue LBE in one unit and never got a second glance.

Stick with equipment that ressembles issue gear as much as possible and you should be all right. Of course, when a new LT shows up wearing nothing but "high speed, low drag" private purchase gear this will be noticed by the troops that you will have to lead, for better or worse.

Well, one group is QUALIFIED to use such weapons & equiptment because of additional training, experience and the NEED. SOF troops are composed of professional military (NCOs typically).

The rest are typically newbies not yet qualified to train with or handle additional weapons or equipt.

Ya gotta crawl before you can walk.

Hi, Its going to be how your commanding officer feels about it. During my service with the 82nd Abn. I bought a lot of my own equipment. I had a second set of TA-50 issue gear totally new to use for inspections only & a tricked out set for the field. I carried a personally owned weapon for field & deployment use. My squad even had a fund that members pay into so we can buy squad gear, for instance a water filter for squad use. In the field ,mission accomplishment was #1, so as long as we performed well, the commanders never bothered us about the gear. I use common sense uniformity,for instance, common location for first aid packs,CEOIs, & mission sensitive equipment . This is so we can locate these items in the dark or when the soldier is wounded. If you decide to get flashlights or electronics, try to find models that uses the common issued batteries(none of the hi tech lithium stuff). Best of luck to you cadet. Remember, behind every successful officer is an efficient NCO. ;)

Yeah - pay VERY good attention to your sergeants. Don't event ry to grow a brain on your own until you're wearin' two bars at least...

Buy an extra pair or two of "inspection" boots, and an extra set of your basic gear - it'll help you get through the BS inspections. Get a good pair (or two) of boots to wear in the field, and WEAR them to keep 'em broke in and comfy.

Now, I wasn't a HSLD type - I was a public affairs writer/photographer. As such, I ended up buying most of my own equipment. Remember that anything that Unca Sugar buys is likely to be designed so that it maintains minimal functionality after being dropped of a roof. Minimal functionality is nice, but when you need maximal functionality, it often doesn't cut it.

I also learned a lot listening to my father, who was in the 325th of the 82nd...

Remember, with the exception of "inspection" gear, that anything that you have in the field is likely to have to go out an airplane with you, and be carried for miles, possibly on the run. That means that light weight _and_ sturdy is a good thing.

Back