Unidentified Muzzleloader?

dbuffington

Hi Folks!

Please forgive me. While I know a bit about more modern, cartridge rifles, I know little or nothing about muzzleloaders...

A friend has asked me to identify a muzzleloading rifle, which is supposedly of Civil War vintage. I will post an image when I get back to my office, but it has several distinctive markings:

- The number "1863" stamped on the right side plate behind the hammer.

- The letters "US" stamped on the right side plate in front of the hammer.

- A circle of stars stamped on the assembly holding the nipple.

- A brass keystone inlaid on the top of the stock.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Dave

It is going to take pictures. Good closeup pictures of the lockplate area included, and all other markings.

All I have to go by is Flayderman's book where the 1861 (made through 1865 with all dates) and Special Model 1863 rifle muskets are shown with an eagle on the nipple bolster. No mention or illustration of a circle of stars. Maybe somebody here has better references with more on the various contractors.

A brass keystone inlay in the stock sounds like a post war sporterizing job, Bubba was around back then, too.

The U.S. Springfield has an eagle in front of the hammer with U.S. Springfield in front of that. No stars.
Definitely need good pics with closeups of markings

Here's the only photo I was able to get...

Bills.jpg

The lock and trigger guard look right for an 1863 Springfield Type 1.

The ring of stars on the bolster is shown no other place I have looked.
The rear sight of an unaltered rifle musket should show in that picture.

Way over my head.

It's a Springfield. You can see the eagle but it's faint and part of the Springfield name but it's even fainter and not all there. Rear sight is missing and looks like some grinding was done on the barrel in that area.

Hmmm... Looks ALOT like my dad's 1863 Spingfield that I clean once in awhile, except the ring of stars. Although it seems like I've seen that in the same place on a different frontstuffer at a gun show before.

Back