Unfired Enfield: Does such a beast exist?

Jack 99

I know there are some Enfield fans here. I've never owned one, but like so many other guns, it is on my "should check these out" list.

Anyway, at the Del Mar Gunshow this weekend a guy was trying to sell me an "unfired Enfield", which seemed pretty dubious to me, for $175. To my way of thinking, that would be like finding a VW Bug with zero miles for $300. The gun was in excellent condition, had a "blonde" stock, which I always thought was an aftermarket stock, and the magazine catch was tight as heck. Everything looked "new" as far as I could tell.

Do "unfired Enfields" exist? Did I just miss out on the deal of a lifetime? I didn't buy it because I had other things on my shopping list and had promised the wife to finish the AR before buying any new guns.

Also, I was once told the .303 British is almost identical to the 30-06, ballistically speaking. True?

------------------
"Put a rifle in the hands of a Subject, and he immediately becomes a Citizen." -- Jeff Cooper

Maybe unfired by him, or his wife, or his 3rd cousin, twice removed. Firearms are test fired with proof loads prior to leaving the factory. They are then proof marked. I don't have the info in front of me about proof marks (our man Harley has it and the time to look it up). If you're really interested, be sure to have it headspaced prior to buying it.

The 30-06 has a higher muzzle velocity (about 200 fps faster) than the British .303. The 30-06 is also flatter shooting than a .303. For long range shooting, the 30-06 is a better caliber; not that I would want to be hit with either mind you.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I assume this was a reconditioned rifle and the responses I've gotten confirm that. Is $175 too high? Seems like its about the standard price here in CA.

------------------
"Put a rifle in the hands of a Subject, and he immediately becomes a Citizen." -- Jeff Cooper

Hello, Jack 99,

You don't say what model that Enfield is. If it is a Rifle No. 4 Mk 2 (it seems to fit the description of some I have seen) in the mummy wrap, it is well worth the price, and probably would be unfired, except for proofing. Note: British army rifles did not receive the normal civilian proof marks seen in the books.

Jim

Jim

Jim is correct . I have a #4 MK2 that was unfired until I ran a couple rounds through it . These came into the country about 5 years ago and were still in the mummy wrap with hang tags , the bayonetes and scabbards were also wrapped in paper . I paid $225 for mine and felt lucky to get it . You do not see these very often most were snatched up and hoarded away . I also have a Polish Mosin Nagant M44 that is in the same condition , these rifles look like new Brownings , the bluing [blackening on the Enfield] is pristine and the wood is blonde and looks like it was made yesterday . If you can still get it I would grab it up . Good luck , Mike...

I should have said unissued , they were proof fired when manufactured .

[This message has been edited by Mike Baugh (edited July 19, 1999).]

One more possibility. Someone has been assembling Lithgow No1 MkIII Enfields from never used surplus parts. I think they do come with blonde stocks. I've seen these rifles at most every gun show I go to here in Florida. Do you know how to tell the difference between a No4 Mk2 and a No1 MkIII?

Gino, that's an easy one. The No4 is the only Enfield with a barrel that both protrudes significantly past the front sight base and is lugged for bayonet attachment. The previous versions (Nox) had barrels that terminate at the muzzle cap/sight base.

I'm no Enfield expert but its my understanding that new Enfields are still being made in India. These are the "Ishapore" Enfields.
If they are not actually still making them, I know that many "New In Box" Ishapores have been imported. They're supposed to be a bit rough, but quite shootable.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Thanks guys. I don't know about the .303. If I pick one up in the future I think I'll go for the .308.

------------------

I don't think the Ishapore 2A/2A1 rifles are still being made. Also, I have seen none that could be described as unissued or unfired. Most have some signs of use, although some are in very nice condition. I recommend them to anyone who wants a good 7.62mm (.308) shooter.

Jim

If you go to the Mosin Man website he has some links to Enfield pages that list the "new rifles" that are made from leftover parts , if I remember correctly the #1 MK 3 was the one this was happening to . The #4 MK 2 was not one of these [not that it could not happen] , I purchased mine from the president of my gun club who is a long time Enfield collector , he had purchased several of them when they went on the market and put them back , it took me 2 years to talk him out of one . Good luck , Mike...

There have been new never fired enfields show up here in canada the last few years.Some in sealed tin boxes-like a sardine can.Sold somewhere in the 300$ range.

I picked up an unissued Lee-Enfield #4 Mark 2 a few years ago. A local discount store got a batch of them for $170. The store in question sold out in less than 24 hours.

It was very similar to what you describe:
Blonde wood stock, black painted steel. I think the stamp on the receiver said "55" or something that implied it was made in 1955.

Anyway, I had already known that a shipment of unissued #4 LE's were on the market from reading Shotgun News. What helped assure me that it was indeed unissued was it was glopped over with cosmoline and still covered with wax paper or something with a tag hanging somewhere from the factory. Took me a while to clean it off but what a beauty!

Edmund

Back