Unfinished Remington 1858

Panhead51

Inactive
Opinions Looking at a new unfinished Uberti 1858 Remington saying it needs sanding,bluing like the way the gun looks out of the box any reason not to leave as is

Hard to parse what your question is but I guess you're asking if you have to finish an unfinished gun?

Typically the parts in a kit do not fit closely together without considerable filing/sanding. I don't know if that is the case with the one you have or not.

If the question is do you have to blue it or leave it in the white, that's entirely personal preference.

Steve

I believe the guns have to be proof tested, so they have been assembled and fired at least once. (AFAIK)

panhead

What makes you think the pistol is not finished? I think a few capitals and periods to form sentences, might help our understanding of the situation. I thought most Ubertis were finished (blued and fitted). I didn't know they sold a kit gun. Perhaps you are thinking about making a new gun look old?

A little more info please.

Unless you enjoy kit guns, I'd skip it and just buy a finished revolver.

IMHO, the few dollars you'd save wouldn't be worth all the extra time and effort. The Uberti kits are barely less expensive than the completed guns IIRC. That being said, if you wanted a "custom" finish like say a browned finish with custom stained grips, you might want to go this way. I think the factory finished ones look plenty nice as is though.

How about a very lightly and purposefully rusted surface covered with a heat resistant clear coat?
Could look really neat, like an old experienced war horse.

Ah....I learned something. I didn't know that you could get kits from Uberti, but had not really checked. I have seen older kits from other companies in the past. I had one where the barrel and cylinder did not come close to alignment when the bolt locked the cylinder. Don't remember the brand, but it was in a dark red box. Might still be around somewhere in my basement. It's pretty much a boat anchor.

How about a very lightly and purposefully rusted surface covered with a heat resistant clear coat?
Could look really neat, like an old experienced war horse.

Laurel Mountain browning solution would look admittedly cool. Add that to some "aged" grip finishing and you could have a cool revolver, one that looks like it was "good to ride the river with" and used but not abused by some old cowpoke or bandito.

http://www.laurelmountainforge.com/barrel_brown_inst.htm

Back