Uneven gaps between scope rings: Big deal or not?

ezmiraldo

Hey folks!

Installed scope on my new savage 10t in 6.5 creedmoor, and as I was tightening the ring screws somehow I ended up with one gap being smaller than the other three gaps (see pix)... I've used blue loctite on all screws, and really don't wanna reinstall the scope unless I absolutely have to...

So..., should I (1) worry about it and reinstall the scope before firing the rifle, (2) worry about it, but see how she shoots, and reinstall if groups suck, or (3) not worry about it? What do you all think? I wanna target practice w. this set up from 300 up to 1000 yards...

Thanks, as always!

Attachments

• rings - left side.jpg
    rings - left side.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 411
  • rings - right side.jpg
    rings - right side.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Looks OK to me. I'd shoot it and see. You have a set of DNZ ring/base...they are IMO the best rings made for the $ I think you'll be fine.

Very nice setup & with the 6.5 Creedmoor round, that is my next caliber. Low recoil, good barrel life, shoots flat out to 600 yards & hits like a 300 win mag. Perfect round. How did you position your scope? Shooting long range, make sure you scope isn't canted, with your rifle level, using Wheeler leveling system, your scope will be level to your rifle. Can install a level to your scope tube to check level when shooting LD, a canted scope will cause shots to be low to the right or left. Are you going to zero at 100 or 200 yards. Are you a reloader, shooting from 300 - 1000 yards 6.5 CM is made to order for that. Good luck with your new toy, like a kid at Christmas.

Yep, 6.5 creed is pretty nice. I'm not a reloader, but you can get factory loaded match grade rounds with bullets that have >.6 BC (g1) from hornady for under $25 per box! I figured this would be a good round to start learning long-distance rifle shooting... Can't wait to test her out... What sucks is I only have access to 300 yard range right now, the 1000-yard range is like 3-hour drive... But on the other hand, it'll let me start learning the basics, and then in a year or two get all the other cool toys (laser range finder, cant indicator, ballistic calculator, hi-magnification spotting scope, etc) and learn advanced skills for long range shooting... That's the plan...

Thanks for all your replies, folks!

Attached some more pix of my current set up... (check out that insanely thick bull barrel and the super cool recessed crown!)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 39
I'm a benchrest shooter 308 cal. Ranges in my neck of the woods on Long Island New York are 200 yard max. That's my zero, 300 yards I would love to try. 300 yard shooting is a challenge, you may be better off with a new rifle to start at 100 looking for a 1/2" group before going long. Guys I shoot with that shoot 6.5 CM are shooting 120 & 140 A-Max Hornady with 200 yard 1/2" groups. Again, Can't Go Wrong with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I'm on the other side of the state (near Buffalo) and it's the same deal: most folks are hunters who shoot to 100 yards and there are very few long-distance ranges. I have to join a private gun club to gain access to a 300-yard range...

6.5 Creedmoor will be the top bog at that range. Enjoy the rile, its an ass kicker with low recoil. Can't ask for better then that. Now go shoot that badboy & let us know how it shoots. Be Safe out there. Chris

"as I was tightening the ring screws somehow I ended up with one gap being smaller than the other three gaps (see pix)..."

If only one gap is smaller than the other 3, that ring is obviously significantly tighter than the other ring. You either have one ring too tight or one ring not tight enough(or the rings you're so happy with aren't identical).

if you want to shoot good ,shoot as much as you can, think you should think about reloading....as far as rings go ..torque them down to specs a little at a time ,like a tire tightening ,lap the rings, set the vertical post so it lines up with the center of your bolt

Back