Underwood .45 ACP 185gr +P Bonded JHP in Clear Ballistics Gel.

5pins

Enp0Gbvl.jpg

Test Gun: Colt 1911 Government, Defender.
Barrel length: 5 and 3 inches.
Ammunition: Underwood .45 ACP 185gr +P Bonded JHP.
Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
Five shot velocity average: 1162fps
Gel Temperature 70 degrees.

https://general-cartridge.com/2020/04/13/underwood-45-acp-185gr-p-bonded-jhp-in-clear-ballistics-gel/

I use Underwood as self defense ammo.

9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 357 Sig. Also have some 357/38 and 44 Spcl/44 Magnum.....even 327 Federal Magnum.

The stuff shoots very accurately and I have never had any kind of failure in any caliber over several thousand rounds fired.

Been using it for 9-10 years. Started using it during the oweblamerliar shortages.

Good performance all the way around for the load. Thanks for sharing!

I just LOVE the Gold dot bullet. It just performs
My understanding is that Speer used to allow others to use Gold Dots for commercial loading but doesn't anymore. They have another bonded JHP that I think is the one Underwood (and others) use.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Good stuff, it looks like...the 185 gr bullet may offset the add'l recoil of a +P load...over say the standard velocity 230 gr bullet. If this 185 gr Gold Dot feeds at close to 100%, it's a contenda....for daily carry...Nice report 5Pins!! Rod

Looking at the results... I question how this load is better than a 180 grain 10mm. I mean, expansion is about the same, penetration is less with the .45.

I'm expecting to see similar results with the 200 grain .45 you test later.

IMO, .45 is 230 grain and nothing less. The lighter weight bullets are meant to reduce recoil, but improve velocity in shorter barrels.

Looking at the results... I question how this load is better than a 180 grain 10mm. I mean, expansion is about the same, penetration is less with the .45.

It’s LEAPS AND BOUNDS better then a 10mm...........if you only have a .45 pistol. :)

Why don't you ever photograph the Gel Block prior to removing the bullets from it?

Honestly, it would be nice to actually see the results.

It’s LEAPS AND BOUNDS better then a 10mm...........if you only have a .45 pistol. :)
This is what I was thinking: if you already have a .45, then here's your version of 10mm, except you get reduced capacity and decreased penetration due to the increase in sectional density.

Back