Under-barrel shotgun? Like masterkey.

rugerdude

Okay, I have a question.

Is it legal to take a shotgun like a PG only mossberg 500 persuader (18.5" barrel so completely legal length) and attach it to a legal length rifle?

I just think it would be beyond hilarious to have a shotgun mounted to my tricked out SKS like in the masterkey setup. I've also never heard of someone doing this, which makes me believe that either people like being able to use their shotguns properly, or it's illegal.

Thanks guys.

So long as the shotgun would be legal on it's own, there is no law against mating the two together. It would look stupid as hell, but hey, it's your gun.:p

Last edited:
I can respect your opinion, and honestly, I haven't even got the guns out to see what it would look like, nor have I figured out how the hell I am to go about mounting it.

Just an 17 year old's idea of "neat" I guess.

Thanks for the info.

* the thing about the "master Key" and simular arrangements on AR15/M16's
is they are really hard on the receivers of the host rifle... the the rear mount that bolts in place of the buttstock of the shotgun mounted to a overlenth front pivot pin on the AR...it pound the hole in the aluminum upper and lower out of round. I have delt with one of these things...you will quicly find a 15 pound AR carbine is a real PITA........I suspect a sks with one somehow lashed to it would also loose its novelty quickly.....if the only reason to have it is to use those frangible pressed powdered metal "shok-loc" 12 gauge rounds, it will be of very little use 99.9999% of the time(unless on a breaching team) and hard to regulate
it to a point of aim /sight it in by moving the mounts left/right/up/down when the mounts arent movable.

The underbarrel shotgun concept has been going for a while. Here is the current military though.

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_XM-26,,00.html

Article is old and those "serving in Afganistan" guns have all been de-milled. The program is still on though, go figure.

Also a offering that grew out of the Idaho National Lab.

http://www.proswat.com/greeter.html

I've used a early version of the Military one and have nothing positive to say about it. SOF and a lot of other organizations have played with the concept, but always return to a stand alone pistol gripped shotgun for breaching, ect.

Desert01
www.desertsystms.com/SLAP

Well, this would be for just a range toy kinda thing, however I got both guns out today and it just isn't going to work. My magazine will not act as a nice handle for the shotgun, nor will my other arm be able to operate the slide.

Besides that, I have no way of mounting it (although the barrel would attach nicely to the bayo lug).

Perhaps if i had a T-6 stock, and had it at the shortes LOP, then maybe, but with mine it's just not gonna happen.

Oh, and I doubt my reciever would be screwed up from light target loads, but I do believe I read something about the AR's takedown-pin holes becoming elipses after using the masterkey.

Anyway, on to other silly ideas that will never work.....

If you make a SBS and attach it to a stocked weapon you're fine. If you take an AOW and attach it to a stocked weapon, it might be considered a SBS then. I have a letter with the ATF regarding this issue but haven't heard back from them.

I remember about 15 years ago i used to see an ad in the shotgun news.This company made a bracket that allowed you to mount an 870 under a ar-15.This was after the movie Predator and based on the m16 that Billy carried,right before he was gutted on the log bridge.The ad ran for a couple of months and then nothing.

Keep in mind Billy sported a standard 20" barrel and the shotgun barrel stuck out in front of the AR.

Back