UN proposes global civilian disarmament

DC

Moderator Emeritus
While perusing some of my old gun mags, I came across this article by Robert Hausman in Guns and Ammo; January 1997.
The jist of it:
The gov't of Japan, with the aid of Canada and Australia, have established a UN commission with the goal of harmonizing global firearm legislation on the order of the extremely restrictive laws of Japan. The premise is that even with their respective gun restrictions, criminal violence hasn't been stemmed (even though guns play a very minor role in said violence in these countries). Japan takes the position that the number of firearms in other countries has a direct effect on the civil order of Japanese society since illegal firearms are smuggled in from countries where guns are more readily available.

Resolution 9, of the UN Commission on Crime Prevention, states in its introduction:
" With the increasing dimension and scale of international transport and the increasing sophistication of trans-national illicit trafficking, no state or nation is immune from the lax legislative and administrative controls in other states".

Here are some pertinent links:
<a href=http://www.ssaa.org.au/UNpageindex.html>Gun Grab in Australia</a>

<a href=http://www.chambana.com/~CCG/undoc.htm>UN A/52/298---General and Complete Disarmament: Small Arms</a>
<a href=http://www.un.org/plweb-cgi/idoc.pl?1055+unix+_free_user_+www.un.org..80+un+un+pr1996+pr1996++civilian,%26and%26gun%26and%26control,%26and%26crime>United Nations Declaration on Crime and Public Security; Calls for Action on
Firearms Regulation, Money Laundering, Official Corruption
</a>
<a href=http://www.un.org/plweb-cgi/idoc.pl?1015+unix+_free_user_+www.un.org..80+un+un+pr1996+pr1996++firearm%26and%26regulation,%26and%26gun%26and%26control>UN:VIEWS ON FIREARMS REGULATION DISCUSSED IN CRIME COMMISSION </a>
<a href=http://www.un.org/plweb-cgi/idoc.pl?635+unix+_free_user_+www.un.org..80+un+un+pr1997+pr1997++firearm%26and%26regulation,%26and%26gun%26and%26control>Approves Texts on Transnational Crime, Corruption, Stolen Vehicles, Firearm Regulation,
Juvenile Justice, Prison Conditions, Migrant Smuggling</a>

I'll reserve my thoughts
smile.gif
. Sleep well.

The NRA established a monitoring office at the UN HQ in NYC as a result of this. The NRA is now an official monitoring entity of the UN.

Hypothetical Speculation: Due to the restrictions of posse commitatus and the US soldiers' reluctance to turn his guns on other Americans, UN multi-national forces may be a viable option should the political situation come to the point of private firearms prohibition and confiscation.

How does the LE community feel about the purely speculative potential for being tasked with such an onerous service and working with a UN MNF? Any comments from behind the badge?

I wouldn't do it. AND I'd I let everyone here and on every other forum I can find know that I was asked to do it about ten minutes afterwards. That will be the equivilent of the proverbial "balloon going up" in many many minds. Just MHO.

While we know our 68 gun control legislation was a translation of Hitler’s who would you
guess first proposed global civilian disarmament in modern times? I believe it was in 1942,
the major Protestant denominations proposed this. The resulting council of churches became
what is now known as the Council on National Policy. This is not meant to be a church
bashing statement. It might make a difference to a few of you that tithe though. Personally,
have had quite a feud over this issue with my former church, the First United Presbyterian
Church, and they were part of that conference in 1942.

Colin

It has been established that the UN will not dictate US policy... we have seen the US go against the UN on many topics. But the UN pressuring weak US congress persons is not unforeseeable. We need to keep this fight up. Take it to the enemy... write a letter to your congress persons. Make sure your heard.

For those of you (and I am sure that your number if VERY LOW) that have not noticed Japan leading the way in Civil Disamament you might conisder that it worked for the Japanese Rulling class before.
In the age of Samuari and Shogun the introduction of fireams made every pig farmer the equal of a samuri with his long knife and therefore had to be stoped from having that evil firearm else samuri would be of little use and maybe all those pesants would get a fair shake.

I found this quote on the I-net I have no info as to its source document but the sight seemed to be of good character.

"The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in their possession any swords, bows, spears, firearms, or other types of arms. The
possession of these elements make difficult the collection of taxes and dues, and tends to permit uprising. Therefore, the heads of provinces, official agents, and deputies are
rdered to collect all the weapons mentioned above and turn them over to the government."
Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Shogun 29 August 1558

The Samuri also had the right to behead any one he damn well wanted for what ever reason he wanted. This type of the has no place in the US. Japanese history is one of may favorite subjects... And studying that shows that you really cant make a lot of connections with the US. We have two very different national philosophies. We enjoy their cars, technology, companionship, people in general - but way of life from there national perspective... No thank you. Hey, Ashia-san, pass the Saki and noodles... Have a Sister?

The Japanese also don't enjoy the freedoms and liberties (both terms used loosely) guarenteed by our Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

There is no Fourth Amendment right to be free from search or seizure. The police can knock on your door and demand entry, because they're the police and feel like it.

Their concept of due process doesn't reach like ours. Can't take a color TV away from an inmate without due process.

They have their share of smuggled in guns too. But, they're not very vocal about it.

Like their toys - electronic equipment, cameras, cars and even some of their guns, but they can keep their laws and philosophy.

Interesting, that Japan wants to take American guns because of crime...The Japanese criminal is likely to use a knife, so the guns are not causing crime in Japan. (FWIW, if you include suicide in violent crime stats, Japanese rates are higher than the U.S.)
The Japanese mentality is an interesting one. As Nestor pointed out, battle weapons have been heavily regulated since before 1600. One has to have a license to have a sword in Japan.
As for the U.N...I'm not really concerned about them coming to take my guns.
biggrin.gif
The U.N. can't reach a concensus usually on such obvious decisions as issuing a verbal condemnation of the slaughter of a thousand infants with cane knives. What are the chances that they will unite to invade the homeland of their biggest financial contributor?
Kodiac, the attitude you have mentioned is exactly why some of us don't train in Samurai warrior traditions!

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited 10-30-98).]

Spectre,

Careful about the not samurai arts bit. Kukishinden ryu and gikan ryu where both samurai arts (maybe takagi also?). Althought "our"(booj) philosophies don't match.

Also on a side note with the UN only the security council can pass "binding" resolutions. We (the US) have a veto there. So any problems in this country are because we let them happen.

Jason

[This message has been edited by Jason Kitta (edited 10-31-98).]

Back