UMC, Winchester USA, & SB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Postman

After shooting 300 rounds of Winchester USA out of my H&K USP .45, I read a recent post regarding the primar sealant clogging the firing pin. While I have never experienced any problems, I am suddenly very apprehensive about shooting the remainder of my case and about the case of Winchester USA .38s I have ordered for my S&W 686 plus.
How does the Winchester USA stack up against UMC and the Sellier and Bellot ammo as far as accuracy and cleanliness go, the Winchester has been terribly accurate, but rather messy. I am particularly interested in UMC's .357 125gr. JSP, as it's balistics match Remington's .357 125gr. SJHP.

[This message has been edited by Postman (edited October 02, 1999).]

I've shot all of those brands out of my S&W 19 without any problems. Right now I'm shooting alot of Federal American Eagle because Federal is having some kind of ammo sale or something and it is cheap as heck. As for the primer sealent clogging your firing pin hole I say BULL**** and even if it did some rubbing alcohol will eat it.

The sealant on the Winchester USA ammunition clogged the firing pin on my USP9. It also happened to someone else on the HK List. If enough builds up, it can cause the pistol to misfire.

Check the breechface on your pistol for red residue. If it is there, clean it off. Hoppe's #9 works well. I also shoot a little BreakFree Powder Blaster into the firing pin hole, and then I clean the residue, if any, off the firing pin. I have not had any problems with the Winchester USA since I have been doing this (over 1,000 rounds).

FWIW I have heard of very many problems with UMC ammo lately, especially the 357 SIG. The Sheriff's dept here blew up a G22 with the 165 UMC. I have no idea if the ammo, the gun, or the 40 in general are most at fault.
Or if Rem is sloppier with the UMC.

I like USA, American Eagle and Blazer. Have fired several thousand rounds of the Blazer in 357SIG without a problem the last month or so. Same price as the 40 ammo here, only a few bucks per case different from Midway or Natchez Shooter's Supply.

Sometimes you guys sound like a guy in a Mercedes driving around looking for cheap gas, or making his own in his backyard. <G>

------------------
>>>>---->

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back