UMC ammo, any opinion??

timrh23

Hey guys, any good or bad experiences with the stuff in the yellow box? They seem pretty cheap and from a pretty good company in Remington right?

I have found Remington's UMC to be somewhat lower quality (dirtier and perhaps poorer point-of-aim accuracy) than other "major brand, non-premium" ammunition (such as Federal's American Eagle or Winchester's white box). This said, I would not hesitate to use it -- for general range practice -- or to buy it -- if the price was right.

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited December 23, 1999).]

I shot 2 boxes of that stuff through my Sig P220 .45, and it was just awful. It fed right, but my groups at least doubled.

I've gotten much better results with Winchester (about $1 or so more a box), or the baggie stuff you can pick up at gun shows.

I've shot a bunch of it, especially the 223 stuff. Not match grade or premium, but I've never had a 'dud' and the price makes it fine for punching holes in paper, as long as it's not a competition situation.

I fired UMC 9mm in CZ-75, along with Fiocchi,
GECO and Wolf. Here is what I got:

1. Fiocchi - hot and accurate.
Excellent ammo.

2. GECO - relatively hot and pretty accurate.
Very good ammo.

3. Wolf - very hot and so-so accurate.
Good ammo.

4. UMC - weak load and not accurate.
Waste of money.

All ammo was 100% reliable.

The 357 SIG ammo was waaaay overpressure and jammed in the Glocks/SIGs I shot it in.

The 165 40 blew up a few guns here this summer (ruptured barrels in Glock, Kel-Tec, blew cases in SIGs/USPs).

Never had a problem w the 9, but I haven't shot any lately.

------------------
>>>>---->

Hey gang.. I agree with the above post that stated the UMC's are weak. I had no problems at all in my revolvers but the 9mm would jam every 3rd shot. The grouping was almost doubled but never a misfire. The Winchesters(white) that cost just a hair more were alot better.

I've fed around 600-700 rounds of UMC 230grn FMJ through my Sig P220, and while it is terible accuracy wise, I have never had a single problem with it feeding or ejecting. Actually the recoil feels considerably "hotter" than say PMC that I also used to use alot of and the charge that I use in my reloads. Can't comment on the UMC 9mm stuff.

Nathan

No problems with the 9mm stuff.
The accuracy is not the best, but for informal plinking out in the desert, it's OK.

I have forund UMC to be hot ammunition and I think that is because it is manufactured to military spec. The .357 magnum 125 gr soft points ahv a muzzle velocity of 1450 fps.
Much hotter than the winchester 125gr .357 mag at 1270 fps. UMC .38 special fmj is 900 FPS 135 grain wt. thats +p for .38 special and 100 fps faster than the winchester.
I have also found that the winchester is somewaht dirtier.
It seems to me that Sellier and Belloit ammois the most accurate inexpensive ammo I have shot but hard to find aroun here in DE.
I have shot thousands of rounds of UMC and never had aproblem

------------------
Master Blaster

Back