Ultrasonic cleaning?

TXAZ

Curious if anyone routinely uses an ultrasonic cleaner?
If so, how happy are you and which one do you use?

I use one that I bought at Harbor Freight. It works fine for small parts. My gun barrel is too long to fit in it but the frame fits. i also clean all my magazines in it.

For solution I use Hornady One Shot or MPro7.

After cleaning I let the parts dry over night.

I have 2 large ones that I use in my cutlery shop. They work well.
I don't recommend putting an anodized aluminum gun frame in one, as it can remove the coloration of the anodizing.

I have Two, One I use Hornadys cleaning agent and L&R weapons cleaning. The other I use a 10% Ballistol and 90% Water. They work very well. If I use the Hornady's, I will dry with a can of compressed air and they spray down with a bottle of the Ballistol mixture (ballistol Milk)

The Ballistol milk will leave a very fine light coating on all the parts especially the trigger parts etc. I really like how easy it is to clean magazines. The Ballistol really leaves a fine,thin coating on them and makes them very slick. Plus no worry about damage to any parts.
The Ballistol will send all the crude to the top and I will take a turkey baster and siphon off the top and you can reuse it many time. Also great for cleaning out striker channels. And blow out with compressed air.

h93n1Pn.jpg

Last edited:
Crest Ultrasonic cleaners and their ChemCrest 235.

It can cause pitting on soft metals, like aluminum and brass. It will also strip paint or paint like finishes.

Great if you want a super deep clean and aren't afraid to take the gun completely apart.

I use one.

I’ve had nothing to compare it to but I’m happy with the results. I mix a bit of citric acid with distilled water.

I don’t get the pristine, polished brass look but that is fine by me and they are clean of residue.

I have and use one of the big Lyman Turbo ultrasonic cleaners in my shop. Makes cleaning guns a lot faster and easier.

Anyone ever drop a shotgun trigger group into one?
Any reason not to ?

(I'm intrigued by the dilute Moose Milk idea of 1-step clean/protect)

If you read about ultrasonic cleaners, they require a aqueous solution to clean. Bubbles form on the surface of the object, explode/implode and that does the cleaning.

Oil will not allow that to happen.

An oil bath is good after coming out of the sonic cleaner.

I've put Remington 870 trigger groups in a sonic cleaner. I wasn't going to disassemble them, so it worked out pretty well.

If you read about ultrasonic cleaners, they require a aqueous solution to clean. Bubbles form on the surface of the object, explode/implode and that does the cleaning.

Oil will not allow that to happen.

An oil bath is good after coming out of the sonic cleaner.

I've put Remington 870 trigger groups in a sonic cleaner. I wasn't going to disassemble them, so it worked out pretty well.
Yes Agree.

I recently fired about 300 rds of Wolf Steel case out of a Beretta Nano. While this gun shoots the ammo just fine, it does get plenty dirty. And like always I put into the sonic Cleaner Which does a terrific job of cleaning. Right now that gun is in a Tub of Ballistol Milk. 10% Ballistol and 90% Water. When I take the receiver out I will put the tip of a straw from a can of Compressed air into the hole of the firing pin and blow it out. Does a great job of cleaning the striker channel without a total break down of parts.

The Ballistol will leave a very, fine, dry coat of light oil. In fact it will be very slick. All parts are not only cleaned but oiled.

Last edited:
Back