Ultrasonic Cleaner???

stephen426

Hi Guys and Gals,

I saw this ultrasonic cleaner online and was thinking of purchasing it to clean my guns. I was thinking of pouring in a big bottle of Hoppes 9 and soaking the pieces while running the ultrasonic cleaner. Have any of you guys tried this? I know I will probably need to use a bore brush regardless, but cleaning the frame and slides is where I think the ultrasonic cleaner will shine (pun intended). I would blast out the Hoppes with some Gun Scrubber or CLP and then lube as usual afterwards. I think the ultrasonic could reach a lot of cracks and crevices a brush won't reach. Also, I could filter out the particles and reuse the Hoppes by running it through some gauze or gun patches. Thoughts??? Thanks! :-)

http://yescomusa.shop.rakuten.com/p/6-liter-stainless-steel-heated-ultrasonic-cleaner-w-drainage-system/255474048.html?scid=em_BuyMail_23643196&adid=31508

043341-STAINLESS_SONIC.JPG

That one you linked to is pretty much like the Hornady Magnum Sonic Cleaner which I have and use for cleaning pistols and gun parts and yes it works pretty darn good if you use the Hornady guns parts cleaner. Really is amazing how clean the parts come out, but you do have to lubricate it pretty well afterwards because it will strip every bit of oils from the gun.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner. The one use it has found is cleaning the Copper solvent out of Bronze bore brushes by holding the brush right over the transducer in the tank.

But for gun parts and brass it hardly ever gets used at all. I use the thumler's tumbler for brass. I use a toothbrush, alcohol, and a dental probe for gun parts.

I do not wear jewelry, but the wife does. The ultra sonic cleaner at the jewelers gets her jewelry shiny.

Thanks for the feedback guys. While I love shooting, I really don't care for cleaning guns that much. The chemicals that are used in cleaning are pretty nasty and I am concerned with long term health effects. Specifically, any vaporizing type chemicals such as Gun Scrubber (carburetor cleaner) seem to chew through latex gloves like I'm not wearing anything at all. I bought some nitrile gloves which are supposed to be better for chemicals. Regardless, I enjoy shooting a lot of my guns so it is a tedious process to clean them. I will probably order this unit or the Hornady one. Thanks!

Stephen

I was thinking of pouring in a big bottle of Hoppes 9 and soaking the pieces while running the ultrasonic cleaner.
Generally speaking, flammable liquids and ultrasonic cleaners are a bad mix.

Be sure to check with the manufacturer before using anything other than the cleaning fluid they recommend.

Brownells sells an ultrasonic cleaning solution. You'll also need the ultrasonic cleaner oil. It is used to soak the gun/parts after cleaning in order to remove any moisture.

Back