ultimate race gun

paltik

im planning to set-up a race gun, i already have a Cmore,STI frame, super 38 Springfield slide,
The only thing I want to make sure is what is the best compensator out there now?
hybrid barrels looks OK, with the combination of ??? compensator...
Thanks a lot!
Happy Holidays!!

------------------
REY MARIANO

I can claim no great expertise on race guns (or anything else for that matter), but I stumbled into a great race gun at an on-line fire sale.

It's an STI with a hybrid Schuemann barrel finished for 357 sig. The six port integral comp, high pressure round and hair trigger make for unbelievable accuracy and ease of shooting.

The comps reduce the recoil on the 357 sig (which I have shot in other handguns -- sigpro) to somewhere between 22lr and 32 acp.

I have a more experienced friend who purchased a gun from the same source -- a Para 16 40 which also has a 357 sig comp'd barrel. He has similar results. He has expressed doubts that the comp would be of great value in 45 or 40.

Apparently the high pressure of the 38 super or the 357 sig is what drives this train.

Paltik- you *know* that there's no such thing as the ultimate race gun- it's like computers- just when you think you've got the trickest, neatest one that has ever been, that you've waited forever for- some obscure shooter from overseas shows up with something newer and tricker or(more likely)the rules change. DVC, motorep, A14838.

shueman hybrid barrels seems the trend this days...did anyone experienced the shueman hybrid barel with the shueman comp?

I would strongly advise not using the 357 Sig for an IPSC gun. While it may be a fine round, it is not legal for major caliber Limited (smallest diameter allowed is .40), so it competes in open class. Being based on a 40 cal., it has smaller magazine capacity than the .38 supers everyone else in open class uses.

With that said, the hot setup in open class is a hi cap frame (usually STI or SVI because of easy availability of mags., or Caspian, if you have a good gunsmith that can slim the grip), C-more sight, and a combination of Hybrid port barrel and compensator on the end of the barrel.

Rusty Kidd (an Atlanta area gunsmith, who has built guns for Jay Christy and Matt Burkett, among others) builds a gun with a 6 or 7 port hybrid barrel and a stubby little 2 or 3 port comp. on the end. You need to shoot it to believe it!!

[This message has been edited by TaxPhd (edited December 28, 1999).]

Back