Uh Oh. Am I Becoming a Revolver Guy? *Long*

Martowski

Some of you may have noticed my name over here in the revolver section as of late. Maybe you haven't. Oh well, here goes:

A little background about me: I'm not that old (mid/late 20's) but have been studying firearms since I was about age 12. Of course, at that time most of my "studying" was in the form of magazine article, books, and the occassional shooting outing with my father. However, in the past few years since graduating college I have attained the financial ability to expand my hobby into more hands-on terms. Mind you, I am not "new" to shooting; I put more rounds through centerfire bolt action varmint guns by age 20 than most "average" shooters will in a lifetime. But, as of late I have been able to experiment and buy a larger variety of firearms.

The first handgun I ever shot was a stainless S&W Combat Masterpiece of my father's. Unfortunately, in my rashness of youth I convinced him to trade it for a Ruger MKII .22, which was later traded for a Ruger M77 .250 Savage, later traded for a... well, you know the story. When I became old enough to own my own centerfire handguns, I chose a Taurus PT-99. Big mistake, in my humble opinion. Since then I have gone through other 9mm autos and now have a Browning Hi-Power I like. While the Browning is a great gun, its trigger and accuracy still do not hold a candle (once again in my humble opinion) to my 686 .357. Seems to me that most out of the box revolvers have trigger pulls that double action autos dream of being when they grow up. Also, there is almost never a question of whether or not a revolver will be reliable if needed. It also seems to me that more and more autos are mimicking revolvers these days: fewer bells, no manual safetys, and stiffer/longer trigger pulls. Basically, pull the trigger and the gun shoots! Hmmm... K-Frame Smiths have been doing this for over 100 years. The only thing the autos have on the revolvers is capacity and speed of reload (for the average shooter, not the Jerry Miculicks of the world; sorry if I misspelled his name). And, lets face it: if I ever was in a home defense situation (concealed carry isn't allowed in my state, so a firearm's use in that capacity isn't an issue for me) and 6 rounds of .357 from a speedloader can't handle the situation, I've got SERIOUS problems!

I guess the whole point of this post is that I kind of feel like I'm "maturing" a little more in my thinking (that's not to say that I think auto-only buffs are "immature" in any way; I'm just referring to my own personality). I'm getting out of the phase where I want decocking/self-loading/chamber indicating/safe action trigger/includes every bell and whistle firearms. Sure, I love my autos and will never stop shooting them, but I think I might find myself a nice 4" S&W 66 next, fit it with Hogue grips and night sight inserts, and think of it as coming "full circle" from that first time I shot my dad's Combat Masterpiece 14 years ago.

Note: the only thing I HATE about revolvers is how damn long it takes to clean them.

Am I Becoming a Revolver Guy?

Note: the only thing I HATE about revolvers is how damn long it takes to clean them.

>>Powder Blast + a good cleaning "snake!"

If you avoid shooting lead bullet .38s in the chambers of your .357, there will be much less fuss in cleanup. Use jacketed/plated ones, or get a .38 for target and trigger control practice. Maintain the magnum for carry/HD. TWO revolvers will bring you well on your way...:)

There is at least a partial solution to the "capacity" and "speed of reload" difference. Since most new semi's are limited to 10 rounds, my 627 PC holds eight .357 Mags, and with the moonclips it loads as fast or faster than a lot of the semi's (especially the ones that stick the mag release in out of the way places!).

They're like potato chips,you just can't stop with only one. See if you can shoot someone's S&W N-Frame .357. Very addictive.You'll see.

All my primary home defense guns are revolvers - S&W
model 66, 65 and 686. I carry a Kel-Tec P-32 or Autauga
.32 because revolvers just don't work for me for
concealed carry.
I don't usually have as much to say on the revolver forum
over the semi-automatic forum. My revolvers just sit there;
no jamming problems, no failures to feed, no finicky ammo trouble, no light strikes, no magazines or magazine springs to wear out, just ready for action 100% of the time.
Everytime I get a semi-auto, I have to test every magazine
I get with the ammo I would use for defense and if I make any modifiction to it or switch ammo, it has to be tested all over again with everything to be absolutely certain of reliability. There's a lot to be said for simplicity.

I have "auto moments" - when I want brass in the air and lots of lead downrange. But for pure enjoyment, relaxation, and an unidentifiable inner-kind-of-thing, there's just something about wheelguns that keeps me coming back.....

Help me but I've been having the same problem.

I own a 1991 Compact. I love it, but it's hard to carry consealed. I'm thinking about getting a new gun and mmy eyes keep falling to the wheel guns. It really dosen't help that I watched Dusk til Dawn last night. I love Clooneys .44

Yeah, the more and more I think about it the more I think that a 4" S&W 66 with Meprolight sights and Hogue synthetic grips would be just about as close to an "all purpose" handgun as I can find. Useful for defense, light, quick to handle, accurate, great trigger, great for general "plinking" and informal target use. I'm really suprised that more revolvers don't incorporate night sights from the factory, but I guess most police agencies and other such groups that typically want night sights are switching to autos. I still want to pick up a CZ-75 soon as well, but that might have to wait until after I get my 66!

And I told myself "No new guns this year! I'm only buying stuff for my existing collection."

Yeah, right.

Back