Uberti's made in the 70's

noelf2

I have the opportunity to pick up a Uberti 1858 stainless steel target model revolver that was born in 1978. How well made are the earlier Uberti's? Did they still forge the barrels? Also, I have a howell's conversion cylinder that's about 4 years old. Do you reckon it would fit an older gun? Not sure if the specs have changed over the years... This gun was made for Navy Arms.

Last edited:
Can't speak to the parts interchangeability, but the guns of that era were safe to use.
I had a bunch of them back then, all Navy Arms, used them regularly and don't recall any problems.

Some where in there the nipple thread changed, from 6x.75 mm to 1/4x28. I was advised to use ones listed for Euorsrms for my 1869 built.

Forged frames were introduced in 2007. That doesn't mean the older ones cannot handle full power loads, they can and do just fine.

The gun in 2007 was resized making it near identical to the originals; they weigh the same. However, the cylinder from an original Remington, a 1978 Uberti and a 2015 Uberti will all interchange today.

I have a Uberti of that era by Navy Arms. A cap/ball Confederate style navy pistol with a brass frame. I use it a lot for shooting fast, messing around quick drawing (if I shoot my leg, its my leg).

I have to tighten the screws in the brass frame every once in a while, but you probably would not have that problem with a steel frame. I broke a cylinder latch/cylinder stop, but that seems normal for blackpowder revolvers that get used.

Overall, no real problems. Nice gun.

Thanks for the info. I passed on the gun. Really looking for blue, not ss anyway. At $250, it's not a bad deal though.

Thanks Swathdiver. I didn't know that Uberti went to forged frames in 2007. I remember a friend who had some Italian repro that had a cracked frame. Clearly it was an earlier made gun and I don't know the maker other than it came from Italy. I shied away from Italian repros for a long time after that.

Your welcome! At the same time they tightened up the twist. This information pertains to the "1858" New Model Army by Uberti. They did the same in 2002 with their Dragoons, don't remember off-hand about the other models.

I have to tighten the screws in the brass frame every once in a while, but you probably would not have that problem with a steel frame.

Howdy

Screws back out with steel frame revolvers too. Colts even came with little plastic washers under the screw head to prevent the screw from backing out. Pretty useless, and they got deformed and lost the first time you took the gun apart anyway. I have to remember to tighten the screws on my Colts every once in a while.

Each time we take the Walker, after an afternoon of shooting nearly all of the screws have worked themselves loose! Just part of the fun!

Back