Uberti Leech& Rigdon 1851 .36 cal

Wow looks good! I have an 1851 Navy made by Cimarron (actually made by Uberti) and it is amazing for the price.

This looks to be about the same, what are the differences between it and a standard Navy?

I got really excited.....until I clicked on it and saw a square-back navy instead of a L&R :(

Gary Olen, when will you learn :rolleyes:

I LIKE the squareback trigger guard!

I just bought a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 at Christmas for $199. I like it a lot, but it has the rounded trigger guard. :(

I might get on Uberti's site and see if I can buy that guard as a part and fit it to my Pietta.

It has been said that Uberti 1851 Navies have a short arbor, which can lead to problems down the road with the wedge and cylinder gap. My Pietta has a good arbor fit with only .001" barrel/cyl gap. I have had to sand the wedge on both sides to get the wedge spring to protrude through the barrel flat, and then re-blue. It has also been said that Uberti has a better hand/spring fit, whereas the Pietta does not.

I have some .pdf files insofar as tuning Pietta (read first) and Uberti (read second) 1851 pistols but the author modifies the pistols using a Ruger Old Army plunger (and variants) for the hand/cylinder stop with frame mods. Very good info but I'm not willing to modify that far.

PM me and send your email address: I'll send you the .pdf manuals (6 ea. files). Make sure your mailbox is empty and I will respond as promptly as I can.

I'm a noob with BP but am learning quickly about 1851 pistols and will pass on any info I have.

Jim

Model12Win said:
Is that the way the original Leech and Rigdons were? With the square trigger guard?

No.

The picture is of a 2nd model 1851 Navy, NOT a Leech and Rigdon.

1851 Navy has octagonal barrel, 2nd Model has square back trigger guard, Wedge screw on top of wedge, and "V" shaped loading notch in the barrel lug.

Leech and Rigdon has part octagonal part round (Dragoon style) barrel, round trigger guard and beveled loading notch in the barrel lug.

LeechRigdon2.jpg

IIRC, Neither Uberti nor Pietta are making revolvers with a square back trigger guard these days. Last time I checked VTI and Taylors didn't list square back replacements either.

Last edited:
Also in addition to sportsmen's guide mislabeling that as a leech and rigdon. The price is kinda high since Dixie has actual uberti L&Rs on sale and in stock for $295.00

Back