Uberti Dragoon

skj

Inactive
I have a Uberti Dragoon 3rd model. Its new been fired about 50-60 times. I am using 35 grains with a 457 ball. At 25 metres/82feet shooting from a bench rest I can get about 4" groups. The problem is the shots are about 6" high and about 6" to the right of the point of aim. I have read shooting high is not uncommon but what about shooting to the right. Any idea's or suggestions

The big Colt revolvers were military arms, primarily cavalry. The were designed for longer ranges. The SAA/.45 LC were sighted dead on for approximately 75 yards! The idea was you thinned out the opposition as you charge in and then finished them off with your saber when got amongst the survivors. I read where gunfighters would aim at your belt buckle to hit you in the chest. Seems to work.......shooting a silhouette target, I aim at the approximate waist and hit dead center at ranges up to 25 yards (max at the indoor range).

As far as shooting to one side or the other......I can only imagine its the physical layout of your particular sights. The notch rear may be cut more heavily to one side or the other, or... the front could be minutely bent/installed to one side of the barrel or another, or......considering the barrel of a cap and ball is not mounted as securely as a solid frame pistol, there could be some "whoops" factored in there!

In the army, the .45 autos we were issued would often shoot one way or the other.....not much we could do about it. Shooting the same piece enough times taught us the proper hold off, and after that it wasn't such a big deal...

Mike

Adjusting the windage by filing the hammer notch on the big Colts is not unheard of. If you're sure the sightline is off, take a small, thin metal file and file one side of the notch (in your case the left side). I'd do this in very small increments and test fire several rounds between each increment to be sure you are not overdoing it.

Opening the left side of the notch has the effect of moving the rear sight (the bottom of the notch) to the left, which is the direction you want the point of impact to move.

Or just move your point of aim, which is what I do.

Back