uberti colts

Catman42

i have several uberti colts. only one gives me trouble and im about to fix that. one 38 special open top had a bad hand that would not rotate the cylinder. easy fix. a new low cost hand. the one that give me trouble is the latest one. a 12 shot .22 long rifle and a uberti colt saa. really a well made nice gun with one fault. they went to a rod that supposed to push the firing pin forward when you pull the trigger. supposed to is the word with this one. out of 12 rounds their are always 3 or 4 missfires. ive take the firing pin out and it was ruff on the backend of it so i smoothened it out and polished it good. helped a little but not perfect yet. so i called a gun smith who works on these things and he said put a shim in the fireing pin. the firing pin has a inlongated hole for the pin that holds it in. if i put a good shim in front of that long hole it will make the gun fire every time as i want. it wont be safe any more with a round under the fireing pin but it will work every time. i can keep that chamber empty if i carry the gun out to the outback. i really like the gun, it is a tackdriver but if you buy a uberti colt and it has that stupid worthless rod in the hammer and it doesnt work, their is a fix. ill save the job until tomorrow when im alone in the house and i have the kitchen table to my self. i love shooting that gun. now i want to make it perfect. you may say send it back to uberti. no that would be a forever job. taylor imported it and taylor said if you cant fix it we will. they were really nice about my phone call. also their maybe new old style hammers in the future coming to these shores and if their are some day i will get one as i really like the gun otherwise. if your having a problem with a new uberti with the rod in the hammer, it can be fixed. other wise my uberti colts are the best. thanks for listening.

Uberti will probably refuse to repair a pistol that has been fooled with by someone other than authorized Uberti repair personnel. Send it back with simple instructions as to the perceived problem....keep it simple, just a line or two.

thanks for the replys. i ordered all new frame screws that were hardned and replaced the soft ones to day. also shimmed the firing pin with a good strong shim. fired about 200 to 300 federal 22 long rifle rounds through it at my 3/4 size man target just now. no miss fires. i really like that gun. not safe with a hammer on a loaded chamber but none of my other uberti colts are either. im not perfect but i really practice safety and no one else ever shoots my guns. so i dont worry about it. i could sit out side all day and shoot that gun. usually about 1200 rounds a week through it. i had to hone the front sight down some so it shoots to point of aim. all my uberti colts can take a snakes head off at 15 to 20 yards to point of aim. which one is my favorite? the one im shooting that day.

Back