Uberti Cattleman issues

BlackLabsMatter

I've been given a Uberti Cattleman as a bit of a "gunsmith's special". The bolt wasn't engaging. Disassembly shows that it's a broken trigger/bolt spring. East fix.

Problem is that the hand spring and extent fell out upon disassembly. It wouldn't ordinarily be a problem except that the retaining screw for said parts appears to be seized and won't turn more than 1/8 of a turn in either direction. The loading gate catch screw is giving me similar problems.

Any advice?

It's parkerized and it badly needs a thorough reoiling. The sooner I free up these two screws, the sooner it will be in action.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that you mean "Cattleman" and the correcting function on this site figured "Gentleman" was a more fitting word! :D

Make sure you have a good fitting high quality screwdrive so you don't bugger up the screw heads. Put some Kroil Oil or Penetrating Oil on them and let them sit for a while and see if that helps any. They went in so they have to come out but this may have been one that "Egor" assembled at the factory. If you need parts give Uberti a call and I'm pretty sure they can supply what you need..

When you say it is "parkerized" - is it an "hombre" which has a matte type finish?

Good luck with the screws - take your time and hopefully they'll cooperate with you and come out like they should.

Ok, BLM,
I can't help ya with an Uberti Gentleman (;)) but if it's a Cattleman, there's a chance.
When you get a new combination spring, put a washer under the spring to raise it which will also reduce the tension over all. You only need about 3 lbs of pressure for the bolt (measured on the bolt head).

The hand spring and plunger will be fine. Remove (drill it if you have to) the "retaining screw", take it to the trash can, place inside and leave it. Stretch the spring to allow 2-3 coils of protrusion past the frame. Installing the backstrap is your new worry free " retaining . . . thingy" (it's a technical term, be careful!). I don't use them in my handspring conversions.

As for the hate catch screw, let it go . . . life is too short to hate . . . (sorry, I just had too!!)

Work the gate screw back and forth with a good fitting screw driver and it will probably free itself. It shouldn't be that bad.

Hope this will help.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Yes, I posted from my not so smart phone and its wonderful forced spell corrections.

I know I need to get a better fitting bit and penetrating oil. The jewelers screwdriver just doesn't get the force and leverage I need.

A washer under the combination spring? Sounds like a great idea.

Parts look easy to source. Taylor's and Brownell's has them. The most expensive part will be the ejector rod housing(they lost it!).

I'm familiar with the lockwork on these since it's a lot like the blackpowder versions except for the parts that are giving me issues, of course.

I thought it was parkerized by the pattern of surface rust that has formed(no pitting though and chambers/bore are clean, thankfully) but I could be wrong.

I know the history of the revolver and you're probably right, it's likely the hombre model. It hasn't seen many rounds but it hasn't been well taken care of. If it were BP, it would be a pile of gun shaped rust.

Seems like it will be an easy project and will become a great shooter.

Thanks for the advice.

Howdy

The problem with using penetrating fluid such as Kroil is that the screw head often prevents the fluid from getting where it is needed, the screw threads. If the Kroil does not loosen the screw, try heating the area with a fine flame to break the hold of the screw.

Uberti is notorious for using soft screws, which can seize easily. The screw slots are easy to bugger up with cheap hardware store screws too. Be sure to use a screwdriver with a hollow ground tip that fits the slot very precisely. Bear down with plenty of pressure, to prevent the screw driver tip from climbing out of the slot, while slowly increasing the torque. If that does not break the hold of the screw, try giving the screw driver a few sharp raps with a small hammer before trying to torque it out.

Back