Uberti Cattleman BP in .45 Colt!

Kilibreaux

While looking at some of the other threads I wanted to share a couple of my own blackpowder conversions. I did these about 20 years ago just before all the cartridge converters for classic C&B guns started showing up.

After looking at the Uberti Cattleman for about 10 years I finally had the spare cash to take the plunge and buy one to see if - as I suspected, it was identical to the cartridge version except a few changeable features. Sure enough, aside from the side firing pin and open recoil shield the guns were identical and it was simple to fit a replacement .45 Colt cylinder and base pin. I mic'd the barrel and sure enough it came out .452". I fabricated a dovetail insert for the recoil shield from 4130 steel plate and heat treated it, and tapped it into place with some Accra-glass to bond it. I made a barrel insert to act as a drill guide and used an aircraft bit to drill the new firing pin hole. the BP firing pin was tossed and replaced by a CF version.

I then set out to see what it would take to blow one up by loading as close as modernly possible to the original .45 Colt black powder load. I managed to get 37 grains of Cleanshot compressed into new brass under a 255 grain slug. Those things kick a lot harder than any modern smokeless ammo! But the guns held - and are still going strong. I even made up some smokeless loads using Herco. Even "hot" .45 Colt ammo seldom exceeds 14K psi.

Anyway I wanted to share a few photos of my conversions.

Attachments

• Pair of Uberti BP revolvers tiny.jpg
    Pair of Uberti BP revolvers tiny.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Uberti 1873 BP conversion tiny.jpg
    Uberti 1873 BP conversion tiny.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Uberti 1873 C&B tiny.jpg
    Uberti 1873 C&B tiny.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 93
i have several uberti colts in 38 special .22 and 45 long colt. i dont load heavy as you but i really like them. ive changed to wolf springs. redone the forcing cones. to be honest i use black horn 209 powder or triple 7 with a 60 1000/s wad between bullet and powder with no crushing of the powder. i use slightly over sized round balls lubed with lee alox roll crimped over the end of the round ball. very very accurate and easy on the guns. not harsh to shoot either.

The BP in a box you have pointed out is the date code for 2001, the year of manufacture. If it had been a cartridge gun from the get go the frame would have been a smokeless frame identified by the transverse cylinder pin latch.

Back