Uberti and Pietta SAA copies: relative merits of each?

Cossack

I'm looking into getting a Single Action Army type revolver and have little experience with the design. Because I want a traditional-function and style 7.5" .45 (and I'm not ready to pony up - pun intended - for a Colt or USFA until I get to know the type better) I'm mostly narrowed down to the Italian copies made by Pietta and Uberti. The Cimarron line seems attractive, and they carry both makes for about the same price:

Uberti:
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...11539903/Cimarron+MP415+Model+P+6RD+45LC+7.5"

Pietta:
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...Frontier+Pre+War+Revolver+.45+LC+7.5in+6rd+Bl

What are the relative merits of each Spaghetti Colt? I've heard rumors to the effect of the steel being softer in the Pietta, but in other regards it may be superior.

Reliability? Durability? Function? Historic Authenticity? Etc...

Anything else I should be considering? Thanks!

Last edited:
SSA

My luck has been with Uberti -- same "4 click" hammer as Colts and quality is good. Taylor's (below) has comprehensive listing -- you need to think about barrel lengths, calibers and short-stroke kits (if for cowboy-action competition). By way of contrast, a blued 7.5" 45LC config might be "traditional" while a stainless, 4.75", 38sp might be handy, low-maintenance and cheap to run -- maybe even add adjustable sights.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/cartridge-revolvers/1873-single-action-revolver-series.html

I was facing the same decision a year or so ago. On one of the forums, a guy that specializes in smithing single actions said that the current Pietta clones are better as they use a hardened steel bushing around the firing pin hole and are hardened in a couple other areas as well.

I ended up buying a Cimarron Pietta in .357 Magnum. The action is very smooth. Timing is perfect. Sights were dead on at 25 yards with 158 gr loads.

I've always been more of a Uberti guy, but my Pietta is top notch.

I have always been a Uberti fan but I think the current run of Pietttas approach the quality of the Uberti and possibly exceed it. The color-case hardening finish on the Piettas looks better and more authentic to me that that on the currently-made Ubertis. And I certainly like the firing pin bushing on the Piettas for durability. I have read that the innards of the Piettas are a bit rougher than the Ubertis but have no experience with that. Deadwood Johnson would be the guy to ask about these guns. He knows as much about them as anyone.

I have 1 Uberti, 1 Cimarron and I just got a gun from Taylor's (short stroke Runnin' Iron). All are made by Uberti. All are similar and shoot good. My favorite would be the Cimarron, but have only shot about 2000 rounds though the Taylor's so still getting that one just the way I want it. (I file the front sights down to get them just right).

Thanks for the helpful info all.Can anyone tell of the parts interchangeability (with Colt), such as internals and grips, and spare parts availability of each make (Uberti and Pietta)?

I like the Ubertis. I have three different revolvers -a '51 Navy, a 357 Bisley and a 7 1/2" SAA like you are looking for. All are excellent quality and I've owned a lot of different brands over the years.

My Uberit 7 1/2" 45 Colt SAA gets a steady diet of lead cast and as I cast and reload, it's reasonable for me to shoot as much as I want to. I normally use either a 200 gr or 255 gr out of it. Chambers are not he generous side and it likes both .452 and .454 depending on which mold I'm using.

I can't really speak for the Pietta 45 Colts. I have a Pietta .36 Remington NMA "Navy" and it is an excellent quality pistol and shoots well.

However, I was at the LGS the other day and they had what was supposed to be a "Uberti" 45 Colt SAA with a 4 3/4" barrel. I"m looking for one so asked to take a look at it. It turned out to be "mis advertised" and instead was a Pietta. Someone had put faux stag grips on it which wouldn't be a deal buster for me but in handling it, it just didn't have the feel of my Ubertis - maybe it was just me though.

If you are going to order one - I found that the LGS that i ordered my Ubertis through gave me a much better price than the MSRP. If you have several LGS in your area, check and see what they will do on the price.

No, the Ubertis and Piettas aren't a "real Colt" - but in my mind, mine are just as good and the bullets and targets, cans, etc. can't tell the difference. I like mine enough that, like I said, I'm now looking for a 4 3/4" for easier carry on the farm than the 7 1/2" barrel.

Uberti you won't be able to tell from COLT aside from markings.

Pietta you WILL be able to tell from COLT due to slight dimensional variations.

I think all the Piettas have the transfer bar system. I know mine does. And while I love that revolver and carrying it around with all 6 safely is great. I'm still going to get a Uberti for the more authentic firing system. The Pietta is beautiful though, fit and finish is great, and she shoots where ya point it. Here is a pic.
d5eeab0c97fa451b104e82104625b1c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gorgeous revolver, deerslayer.

Thanks for all of the replies. I had my FFL order me in a Cimarron Uberti, which should be here any day now.

On the transfer bar, It was my impression that at least the Cimarron Piettas did not have one.

I'm not totally opposed to the idea of the transfer bar. While I'm big on historical authenticity, I like the idea of carrying six shots safely. However, I've heard that some of the transfer-bar sixguns out there had reliability/durability issues (not Ruger, of course, but I see Ruger as a slightly different animal). If there's one with a solid reputation, I'd love to hear about it.

On the transfer bar, It was my impression that at least the Cimarron Piettas did not have one

That's interesting and good to know, thank you!

I've heard that some of the transfer-bar sixguns out there had reliability/durability issues (not Ruger, of course, but I see Ruger as a slightly different animal). If there's one with a solid reputation, I'd love to hear about it.

I can't help with that. I have not heard of any reliability issue's. I don't have a ton of rounds through mine (150) but so far so good. Post up some pics of your new Hog leg when ya get it.

attachment.php

It's fun!

I'm not used to shooting SA revolvers and I find I'm not shooting well with it yet, but while resting all shots touch at 10yds, so it's me, not the gun. The feel is great. Hammer is not too heavy, and the trigger is light and crisp.

Magtech Cowboy 250gr loads shoot about 1" high and left at 10yds. CCI Blazer 200gr Gaping Maw of Death loads seem to be about on for elevation, but also shoot left for windage. While I'll check into more loads before I start messing with it, how does one get the windage adjusted? Is that purely a gunsmith job?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Uberti.jpg
    Uberti.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 948
Very nice!! Congrats!! As far as windage alot of guys just compensate. I have heard you can bend the front sight blade too. But more knowledgeable single action guys will chime in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Some but not all of the Piettas have the transfer bar ignition. Uberti makes an 1873 revolver called the "Horseman" that has a transfer bar but I've never seen one. More recently they developed a Cattleman II that has an internal passive safety that causes the hammer mounted firing pin to retract into the hammer if the trigger is not held back.

I see a fair amount of Uberti revolvers being used in cowboy action shooting; fewer Piettas but they are out there. If I wanted a traditional style single action I think I'd probably go with the Pietta; personal preference.

Thanks for the helpful info all.Can anyone tell of the parts interchangeability (with Colt), such as internals and grips, and spare parts availability of each make (Uberti and Pietta)?

Howdy

Parts are not interchangeable with a Colt.

Uberti you won't be able to tell from COLT aside from markings.

Ummmmm excuse me, but I have Colts, and I sure as hell can tell them from an Uberti.

Very nice!! Congrats!! As far as windage alot of guys just compensate. I have heard you can bend the front sight blade too. But more knowledgeable single action guys will chime in.

Trying to bend the front sight is an excellent way to snap it off. The proper way to adjust windage on a single action revolver is to turn the barrel. But don't try it yourself, you are liable to spring the frame. Let a gunsmith who has the proper clamp do it.

But first, find out if it is you and not the gun. A lot of guys who are used to adjustable rear sights find that they shoot to one side with fixed sights. They don't realize they have been compensating for poor trigger technique by adjusting the rear sight. Make sure you are pulling the trigger with the pad of the finger, don't put the trigger in the crease under the joint. That will result in too much finger on the trigger and a right handed shooter will tend to push his shots to the left. Pulling the trigger with the pad of the finger allows the trigger pull to be more straight back, lessening the tendency to push the shots to the side.

Thanks for the advice. I'll pay close attention to my technique. I'll certainly be doing a lot of shooting and tinkering with different loads before I mess with the sights at all. If it becomes necessary I'll take it to the smith.

don't put the trigger in the crease under the joint

Hmm, thats exactly where I put the trigger :rolleyes: I pull the trigger with the crease even with long guns too. This is great advice Driftwood! I will try out the pad of my finger next time out to the range.

Back