uberti 73 accuracy

salvadore

I own a uberti 73 winchester with a fiber optic front and a marble tang and load it with pyrodex and laser cast 250gr. fp over fiber wad. accuracy is less than stellar, can anyone suggest a better pyrodex load?

The type of lube is green. I'm using a commercially produced lead bullet from Laser Cast. I did slug the barrel and the bullet seems to be about .002 larger than the groove diameter. Any suggestions would be appreciated

The lazer cast lube wont work as its to hard for BP, you to need melt it out and relube the bullets with BP lube. I've tried those bullets and they were keyholing after 10 shots. A trick is to dip the bullet noses in crisco but I dont know if you'd want to do that with a levergun.

I've tried different charges but have always made sure there wasn't any space between powder wad and bullet. I may try using pyro P as I am now using pyrodex RG.

I have made my own lube for a trapdoor springfield and matched the diameter of the bullet to the groove diameter. .460 groove and a .462 cast bullet and it shot very well. I'm not sure lube is a factor due to the lack of build up after the fouling shot and the shallow grooves on the Italian copy, but will try my home made lube and see if there is a difference.

Thanks Gents and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Back