Uberti '60 Army fluted cylinders

Griswold

I have noticed a difference in fluted cylinders on replica revolvers - on most Armies, the flutes seem to run the length of the cylinder (like the original 1860 Army), but I've also seen some that look like they're fitted w/a magnified version of the Pocket Police cylinder, kind of half-fluted. When did this deviation start to creep in? I don't remember any original fluted Army Colts looking like that. The Uberti that has the odd cylinder bears the 2-line"Lakeville Ct" address, and is the "Civilian Model", brass gripstraps, and frame not cut for shoulder stock. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think I've ever seen what you're describing. If you can find a pic of it, please post it.

Are you certain it wasn't a Pocket Police model? They have the partial flutes and a rebated cylinder, and look like an Army at first glance.

Know I researched this before...but those notes are gone now. Most 1860's were not fluted at all, it's a rarer variation. Mostly offered in the first couple of years, but some spare fluted cylinders were fited to later guns that were sent in for rebuilding so even older guns can be found with matching fluted cylinders. Colt had stiff competition, those Federal contracts were big money, and Remington was selling their product to the gov. for less...saving the time and effort to flute the cylinders just made Colts a little more profitable.

As for the 1/2 flutes...reproductions aren't always truthful.

Semi- Fluted Army

Seth - VERY Sure, as I have it before me now. The closest reference I have is p. 73 of the 2006 of the Dixie Gin Works Catalog, (with Teddy Roosevelt) - on p. 73 there's a Pietta Army, steel frame, w/a cyl. just like the one on my army, 'cept mine 's supposed to be a Uberti - at least that's what the barrel stampings, on the top & bottom of barrel say. Am beginning to wonder if it's a "GM" gun - a Cadillac in the front but a Chevy in the rear, although the barrel/frame fit seems well done. There's only 1 set of serial #'s on the frame, just beloy the aligning pins. Barrel init has none, and bears no evidence of removal. No "A. Uberti" on the frame, though.

Discoveries Maade!

After disassembly, I found the last 3 #'s of the serial stamped on the barrel unit between the alignment pin holes. So the barrel & frame (presumably) match, & I guess both are therefore Uberti. But, the cyl. is totally incorrect, & thus out of character for a Uberti piece. There are no #'s on it at all. I'm just wondering if someone just fitted it to a Uberti gun. I didn't think those sorts of parts were interchangeable.

Found the Rare Varation

Documentation for the half-fluted 1860's appears in Haven & Belden's "A History of The Colt Revolver", p.104, with the unnecessary remark "that it is unusual in that it is provided with a half-fluted cylinder to special order." AHA! So it IS an original feature, just one not in wide circulation.

I'd love to see a pic of it if you can post one. Like I said, I've never seen one as you've described - either original or repro.

Sounds like a neat gun.

Posting Pictures

Seth - I'm something of a Luddite, and I use this this device only out of reluctant necessity. How would I go about posting a picture? I do have a scanner, but no digital camera. I therefore could scan the page from the book, if I knew the procedure.

Back