uberti 38cal

turkeybuzzard

I am wanting a black powder revolver. Have looked and read on the internet till my eyes hurt. I have settled on a 1858 new army in 44 cal. Went to the only local gun stores near me. No one had a pieata, but one had a uberti open top in 38 caliber center fire. Trigger pull was perfect as well as the rest of the gun. I would say it is a lot nicer gun than my ruger 44 or my sw 357. I wanted to compare one against the other in the 1858 new army model. My question is, how different are the two models? The uberti was, is one of the nicest looking and feeling revolvers I have ever handled but it is not a B/P gun and that is what I am looking for. So I have never handled one of the pieata guns vs a uberti in the 1858 model. Looking for some more info I guess? Thanks.

You can load blackpowder in a .38 cartidge. Simplest load to make, a primed case, BP almost the top and seat the bullet on top leaving no air space. The open tops were made for BP. I have handled them before and are nice guns.

If I am understanding you post correctly, you are wanting a BP cartridge handgun? If so . . .

You refer to an "open top" that you saw but it was chambered in 38? If so, it was probably the Uberti 1872 "open top" chambered in 38 Colt Long/38 Special - which is designed for smokeless. However, it will shoot BP cartridges just fine.

The nice thing about those revolvers is that the barrels are bored/rifled in the standard .357 bore as are modern 38/357 revolvers. i.e. you can shoot a standard lead slug out of them and do not need a "heeled" slug. If it is chambered in 38 Colt Long/38 Special - you actually have three cartridge choices. 38 Colt Short, 38 Colt Long and 38 Special all of which can be loaded with smokeless or BP.

I load and shoot a lot of 38 Colt Short/Long and 38 Special. If you load your cartridges with BP, you must use a "compressed load". I use a 38 Colt Long casing to measure the charge of 3F BP for the 38 Spl. cartridge. For the 38 Colt Short and Long, I load the casing to a level about 1/8" under the top of the mouth of the cartridge casing. When seating the lead bullet, it does the "compressing" of the powder just fine and I have never bulged a casing doing it this way. For 38 Colt Short/Long I use either a 120 or 150 gr. lead bullet - on the 38 spl. I use a 150 or a 158 gr. lead bullet. Of course the bullet must be lubed with a BP lube to keep the fouling soft.

Loading BP 38 cartridges is really not hard at all and it's a lot of fun. You can experiment with different bullet designs and weights. Normally, I cast my 38 bullets out of "range lead" for smokeless loads but for my BP cartridges, I use "soft lead".

Earlier this past summer, I was going to order one of the Uberti "open tops" in 38 but I got "waylayed" and ordered a Uberti 357 Bisley instead. It shoots BP 38 Colt Short/Longs, 38 Spl. and 357s just as well as the "smokeless" cartridges in same configurations.

I have shot BP cap and ball for 50 + years but I enjoy the BP 38s even more!

I own both cap 'n ball and 1870s style cartridge revolvers. Both are fun to shoot. In cartridge I have an 1858 Remington .44 converted to cartridge, an 1851 Colt open top in .38 and a 1858 Remington .38 cartridge conversion. I shoot black powder cartridge in all of them. I mostly reload them myself, but you can order manufactured black powder cartridges from Track of the Wolf or Buffalo Arms.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/.36_.41_caliber_black_powder_ammunition_pr-4442.aspx

Back