Uberti 1885 Tang and Globe sight?

smee78

Hello Everyone,

A while back I was asking questions about a Uberti 1885 in 30-30. Well I went ahead and put it on lay-a-way, it will be coming home soon and I was thinking about putting a Marble's Tang Peep Sight and a Lyman Globe Front Target Sight. Now the rear sight is easy to figure out but when I was looking at the front sights there were so many different sizes I'm at a loss? :confused: I dont even know where to begin? Anyone have any insight out there? What size do I need? What is uded to figure out what height you need? Thanks anyone for any input.

Use the front sight that's already on there and see where it hits. Then take the sight out and measure the height from the bottom of the sight to the top. When ordering a globe front sight use that info to order the height of sight you'll need. FWIW, the globe sight is terrible for hunting....but good for target shooting. I've owned them all.....still do.

Thanks for the reply, I guess I will have to try the tang first to see where I'm hitting first. Just curious but why is the globe sight is terrible for hunting?

Hawg got most of the answer, and he's right. It also blocks too much light on your sight. In low light conditions, when deer are most active, you'll really miss the extra light you're not getting because of the big shade you have around the sight. You can "get by" with them in bright light but they are very poor in dim light.

Back