Uberti 1873 Clone Parts Needed

cooltouch

I've got an old Uberti 1873 SAA style revolver with the single word "Regulator" inscribed on the barrel and I need a couple of parts for it.

The hand broke during my last outing to the range with it. This is the model with the old style flat hand spring. I had to replace the hand spring a few years ago and I'd just as soon not try to pry the spring out of the hand to reuse it, so I'm looking for a hand assembly, which would include the spring, already attached.

I've been searching online for replacements, but I'm running into listing after listing that says "no longer available." I don't want to think that this fine old shooter will have to be permanently retired because I can no longer find a hand for it. So I'm hoping someone here might have an idea where I might try to find it. I've tried Brownells and Numrich and Midway and several others, and I'm striking out. But I'm not giving up.

Is it possible to convert one of these old-style revolvers such that it can use a hand with coil spring? If so, what sort of modifications would have to be made to the gun? I have a milling machine and a drill press and a fair number of hand tools, so I'm hoping that, if this conversion is possible, it's something I can do myself.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you'd care to offer.

UPDATE: I located a hand with spring at VTI Gunparts. I've never head of these folks before -- found them doing an Internet search. Anyway, they appear to have it in stock, so I just placed an order. Yay!

Last edited:
Yes you can Rugarize your Uberti single action. You will need to disassemble the gun and on the back of the frame where the backstrap attaches drill a small hole into the hand channel. Then make a steel pin to bear against the hand and back it with a coil spring this assembly is held in place by the backstrap. There are several firms that offer the pin and coil spring if you don't want to make it yourself. There are likely youtube videos describing the process. Well worth doing.

I was going to suggest VTI, but I see you already found them. I believe they are connected to Uberti in some way, although I'm not certain about that. They are definitely top notch folks to deal with -- always very helpful and knowledgeable.

Back