Uberti 1860 Army

noelf2

I'll have to bite the bullet and get a Colt clone. Never been much into the open tops, but I have the opportunity to get an Uberti 1860 Army in NIB condition for $185. If I hate it, I'll let y'all know first.

Oh yes I would. I have 3 already, and have had 3 colt clones. The remmies stick around. I have a uberti 1858 carbine. Need the uberti 1858 to match it.

Here it is. Not a blemish on it. He said he bought it new in 2014, took it to the range once, shot a few cylinders through it, cleaned it, and put it up.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1860.jpg
    1860.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 310
Very Nice!! How can you not like that barrel?? If I had a Uberti NMA lying around I would take you up on it. You should have no problem getting what you're after.

Tried like crazy to find something about this gun that bothers me. It is in perfect alignment, perfect bore cylinder gap, light but crisp trigger pull. I usually have to do some work on my Piettas before they're like this. If I take it out and it shoots as good as it looks, I may have to keep it after all. Still need that Uberti 1858 though.

Ha!!
Hawg is right!! It's an Uberti, the arbor isn't bottoming out in the barrel assy. That being the case, tap the wedge in a little further and there goes your prefect barrel/cyl clearance. (It can be fixed easy though).

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Interesting. The wedge now sits just through the slot. The spring/catch is right up against the slot. There is only about 1/16" more that the wedge could go in before it's up against the retaining screw. I can push it all the way with a little effort (no tapping) and the barrel cylinder gap closes just slightly. I haven't measured it, but I looks like the difference between .004 and .002, wedge out vs wedge all the way in. Is this not how it should be?

Take the barrel off and measure from the cylinder face to the end of the arbor. Then measure the hole from the bottom to the the end of the forcing cone.

The barrel/cyl clearance is defined by the arbor being against the bottom of the arbor hole in the barrel assy. Therefore, it isn't dependent on wedge placement. As long as the wedge keeps the arbor seated against the bottom , it is doing its job. I recommend tapping it in for the best fit. It takes a little force to "set" it. That way, it pre-stresses the two assemblies and will maintain clearances.
You may try a couple of washers to get an idea of how much "void" you have.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Take the barrel off and measure from the cylinder face to the end of the arbor. Then measure the hole from the bottom to the the end of the forcing cone.

I measured a bit differently. With the gun assembled, I marked the arbor at the point where it meets the hole in the barrel assembly. It happens that this is also where the arbor changes slightly in diameter probably to be a snug fit in the hole. I measured that length of the arbor compared to the depth of the hole in the barrel assy. The hole is a smidge deeper. Ok, now I hate the gun... ;)

Just read on another site that the arbor difference can be measured by removing the cylinder, and pushing the arbor into the arbor hole until it bottoms out (the barrel assembly has to be rotated at an angle so the frame doesn't stop it from bottoming out). I measured the arbor being .068" short.

Last edited:
Just read on another site that the arbor difference can be measured by removing the cylinder, and pushing the arbor into the arbor hole until it bottoms out (the barrel assembly has to be rotated at an angle so the frame doesn't stop it from bottoming out). I measured the arbor being .068" short.

That works on a Pietta not on a Uberti. You have to measure a Uberti. My Dragoon is about 1/8 inch.

Back