Uberti 1858 Revolving Carbine

TomsFAL

Inactive
Hi Fellow Shooters
I am looking to buy a Uberti 1858 Revolving Carbine:)
And I would like to know where to buy one.?
It seems to me one of threads had listed that a gun shop looked over
the guns and sent back worst ones. Any way any help would be great
Thanks Tom

Tomleona@cox.net

The Cabela's is made by Pietta. But Pietta quality is as good as Uberti these days. If you want one that's been gone over and is marked closer to the original then by all means go with Cimarron but if a good quality shooter for a good price is what you want go with Cabela's.

The carbine has an 18 inch barrel. If anybody gets one of these keep your off hand off the barrel when you fire. Keep it behind the cylinder.

Okay, this is OT from the OP, but I felt it needed to be addressed in the interest of giving straight scoop.

And Hawg Haggen is correct, Cabela's gun is a Pietta, not a Uberti.

For C&B revolvers, I think Cabela's and Pietta is correct.

Can't speak for what Cabela's sells for revolving carbines NOW. 6-8 years ago, Cabela's revolving carbines were definitely from Uberti. I've got the revolving Remmie C&B carbine and a screwy .44-40 Model P-based carbine (not a Buntline w. removable stock) thing that both came from Cabela's (in the case of the cartridge gun, right off the rack at the Owatonna, MN store; only one I've seen with Cabela's markings and priced at a nifty $175-clearanced?) and both say A. Uberti on the underside of the barrel...
MVC-027F.jpg

MVC-026F.jpg

MVC-028F.jpg

Usually if a Cabela's gun is Uberti the add says so, as in their pocket pistols. I know the guns I have bought from them have been Piettas. I'm just assuming that since the add doesn't say they're made by Uberti they're Pietta. I could be wrong tho.

That's good to know. Wonder why Cabela's doesn't advertise them as Uberti like they do the pocket pistols?

1858 Remington Army Revolving Carbine 18"

Thanks
Fellow Shooters
I got mine from Texas Jacks http://texasjacks.com/Home.htm
They were very nice :)

I also got the Converter Cyl. 1858 Army .44 Colt
Hope it will work on the Carbine?? If not I Have 1858 Remington Army
.44 8" Too

1. What do the experts here on The Fire Line think about the Converter Cyl used on the carbine?

2. I have a box of Black Hills Ammo .44 Colt Cowboy smokeless Powders
Is this safe to use in these 2 Black Powder Guns

Thanks for any Help
Tom

Conversion Cylinder

R&D's website lists Black Hills Smokeless and Black Dawg Black Powder Cowboy loads as the preferred shells for their conversion cylinders. Unfortunately I haven't found any around here for mine and am wondering about the 45 LC Cowboy loads from Winchester. Anybody know? Not that I'm giving up looking for the preferred ones.

I'm afraid that the 44 Colt Cylinder is for 44 Colt heeled bullets and not the 44 colt of opentop fame. that shoots a .429 bullet and your bore is .451 nom. Your ammo , the lead will fall through the bore and not be accurate.

I had a revolving carbine with that exact cylinder. I ordered it that way because I shoot the 44 Colt heeled bullet.

If you don't reload your own, I'd try to get a 45Lc cylinder instead. If you do reload, then Old West Moulds has your 44 Colt/Remington heeled bullets.
He doesn't have a website, but you can reach Bernie here: allisonmonument@aol.com

Bernie will treat you right.

Shotgun Willy,
Any Cowboy load 45LC will work fine in the R &D and the Kirst Conversions. I used Winchester Cowboy loads in mine with great resulkts. I reload so even reloads at the proper FPS will work.

Shotgun willy,
ANY 45LC Cowboy Load will work in the R & D and the Kirst Conversions. Just keep it to 700-850 FPS.
I used the Winchester and they are fine.

Hi old Dragoon

The rifle has .44 on the barrel and I ordered a .44 colt R&D Cylinder.
and a box of Black Hills .44Colt:confused:

So I need to get a .45 Long Colt Converter Cylinder and Ammo.
Will this also work in my 1858 Remington Army 8" .44 ?

Thanks Tom

Heres the scoop. All 44 Cap and Ball Revolvers are .451 nom. bore(grooves). 44 Colt is .429 Grooves. .451 is really 45 Cal. so the 45lc is the R & D cylinder you want, not the Colt 44, unless you want to load the bullets I use. they are .451 drive bands(outside lube grooves between the drive bands), the heel is .429 it fit inside 44 Colt brass.

If your 85 Remy is Uberti the Uberti R & D conversion cylinder will fit both.

I modified a Pietta Kirst conversion cylinder to fit my Uberti Revolving carbine and it worked, but I had to take.018 off the face of the cylinder to fit the Uberti, but then it fit all my Uberti's and my Euroarms '58's. It would still fit the Pietta, but it was .018 Short because of my facing off the cylinder.

Old Dragoon

Thanks O.D., I expected they'd work but since I've no experience with conversion cylinders I thought I'd be cautious and ask.
Bill

Cabela's sells Pietta products,best prices on the web....If you want Uberti...go to Taylors...good price, great service. I'm new here so....Hi all.:) PS: Midway has good prices on R & D cylinders...I just got a .44 cal cylinder for my Remy....a Remy 44 cylinder conversion from Midway is a conversion to cal .45 Long Colt....price(on sale now BTW)is $239.00 + shipping....you may buy one conversion cylinder and then use the back plate from that cylinder on other cylinders so....that means if you want more than one cylinder you can just buy the cylinder by its self(you will have to call them to do this)....a savings of about $100 on each cylinder. Hope this helps.

Back